+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Marrying a Canadian Citizen

pinkwhite

Nov 11, 2012
Hi ,
I am canadian permanent resident getting married to a canadian citizen. I have to file for PR card renewal in May , but the wedding is in June in India. Since there is no way that I can get PR card before June , I will be travelling on a travel document.

The problem is , that while I will be married in India my PR card status (which will be in renewal process) as well as the travel document (that will permit my entry to Canada on return) will still show that I am single.

If I register marriage in India and wait for the changes to be made in travel document while sitting there, it will take lot of time.

On my journey back , will it create any problems with the immigration officials ? What should I do ? Someone suggested that we should register marriage here in canada before I apply for PR card renewal , that way there will be no problem.

Please suggest a solution.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
pinkwhite said:
Hi ,
I am canadian permanent resident getting married to a canadian citizen. I have to file for PR card renewal in May , but the wedding is in June in India. Since there is no way that I can get PR card before June , I will be travelling on a travel document.

The problem is , that while I will be married in India my PR card status (which will be in renewal process) as well as the travel document (that will permit my entry to Canada on return) will still show that I am single.

If I register marriage in India and wait for the changes to be made in travel document while sitting there, it will take lot of time.

On my journey back , will it create any problems with the immigration officials ? What should I do ? Someone suggested that we should register marriage here in canada before I apply for PR card renewal , that way there will be no problem.

Please suggest a solution.
Why don't you apply for a PR card renewal now?

I'd be shocked if it caused a problem at the border, especially for a PR marrying a Citizen.

pinkwhite

Nov 11, 2012
computergeek said:
Why don't you apply for a PR card renewal now?

I'd be shocked if it caused a problem at the border, especially for a PR marrying a Citizen.
The minimum criteria for renewal is completion of 730 days of residence in Canada which I fulfill in May.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
pinkwhite said:
The minimum criteria for renewal is completion of 730 days of residence in Canada which I fulfill in May.
Ah. Well the good news is that as long as you are with your Canadian spouse/partner outside Canada that time will count for your residency obligation. I don't imagine that you were living outside Canada with your partner (after the relationship became qualifying) for that to make a difference to your calculation?

In the case you've described the other option is to request expedited processing of the PR card. I recently read about someone who had it returned in 7 days asking for expedited processing.

Does your PR card indicate you are single? I've not seen a PR card with marital status indicated on it before. I looked on the internet for sample travel documents and none of them showed marital status as far as I could tell, either.

pinkwhite

Nov 11, 2012
computergeek said:
Ah. Well the good news is that as long as you are with your Canadian spouse/partner outside Canada that time will count for your residency obligation. I don't imagine that you were living outside Canada with your partner (after the relationship became qualifying) for that to make a difference to your calculation?

In the case you've described the other option is to request expedited processing of the PR card. I recently read about someone who had it returned in 7 days asking for expedited processing.

Does your PR card indicate you are single? I've not seen a PR card with marital status indicated on it before. I looked on the internet for sample travel documents and none of them showed marital status as far as I could tell, either.

Thanks a lot for the info. I had not even looked at my PR card. You are right , it doesn't say anything about marital status. So , Do I not need to inform them that I am married ?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
pinkwhite said:
Thanks a lot for the info. I had not even looked at my PR card. You are right , it doesn't say anything about marital status. So , Do I not need to inform them that I am married ?
As far as I know, no. Before you were a PR it mattered. After you were a PR it did not matter.

Don't forget to update CRA however - the tax man does not like giving tax benefits to both members of a married couple, so you need to make sure they are advised and can adjust their information accordingly.