+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

permanent resident card vs. criminal charge

Chitheer1988

Feb 27, 2017
Canada
Dear all,

I have a friend who did apply for PR card as a protected person.
He was charged under the immigration and protection act (CSO) five months.

The question is, does this charge would effect his PR application or not? What is the chance of that?
Is he now consider as inadmissible for PR?

If that's happened, what he should do? (Does he need to re-apply? or he needs to get pardon first to apply for PR if he was inadmissibly?)

Thanks,

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
He said he was charged with helping people entering Canada illegal. (I think it was Immigration and Production Act 124.)
Organizing entry into Canada (IRPA) - if this is the charge, then yes, your friend has a problem if he is convicted.
https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/page-22.html#docCont

(1) No person shall organize, induce, aid or abet the coming into Canada of one or more persons knowing that, or being reckless as to whether, their coming into Canada is or would be in contravention of this Act.
  • Marginal note penalties — fewer than 10 persons

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) with respect to fewer than 10 persons is guilty of an offence and liable
    • (a) on conviction on indictment
      • (i) for a first offence, to a fine of not more than $500,000 or to a term of imprisonment of not more than 10 years, or to both, or

• (ii) for a subsequent offence, to a fine of not more than $1,000,000 or to a term of imprisonment of not more than 14 years, or to both; and
    • (b) on summary conviction, to a fine of not more than $100,000 or to a term of imprisonment of not more than two years, or to both.

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Things will likely be on hold until he goes through the criminal process. Yes this could have major implications.