+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident application help needed

MerLrx

Jun 10, 2022
Hi everyone,

my current situation seems complicated to me so I’ll explain and hopefully get some help thank you.

my son and me is singaporean and my husband is Canadian.
My son is 11 months old now and we were trying to apply for his Canadian proof of citizenship as the details I read online says that so long one parent is Canadian on the birth certificate he is automatically a Canadian just without proof of citizenship.

so recently I applied for proof of citizenship for him already and we are awaiting on a response on that which I’m assuming takes awhile but I am trying to apply for PR for myself and there’s a couple of questions I have regarding the forms

- is my son my dependent? ( the form states to only fill him up as a dependent if he is not Canadian )

- assuming he is already Canadian as his father is Canadian does this mean that I do not need to apply him as a dependent on PR?

- did I apply wrongly for a proof of citizenship for my son? ( should he have been under a dependent on a PR application instead?)

thanks again to everyone on this forum!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

my current situation seems complicated to me so I’ll explain and hopefully get some help thank you.

My son is 11 months old now and we were trying to apply for his Canadian proof of citizenship as the details I read online says that so long one parent is Canadian on the birth certificate he is automatically a Canadian just without proof of citizenship.
That's correct, with caveat as long as your spouse was born in Canada or naturalized (and not a citizen by descent).

- is my son my dependent? ( the form states to only fill him up as a dependent if he is not Canadian )
Your son is your dependent for all forms EXCEPT the form IMM0008. This form is the application to become a PR. Your son cannot become a PR if a citizen, and should not apply to become one.

You should include him on other forms such as family information.

- did I apply wrongly for a proof of citizenship for my son? ( should he have been under a dependent on a PR application instead?)
No, you did the right thing. You can include a short letter that your son has applied for citizenship certificate and include a copy of that application. It will remove all doubt.

Reactions: YVR123 and MerLrx

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone,

so recently I applied for proof of citizenship for him already and we are awaiting on a response on that which I’m assuming takes awhile but I am trying to apply for PR for myself and there’s a couple of questions I have regarding the forms

- assuming he is already Canadian as his father is Canadian does this mean that I do not need to apply him as a dependent on PR?

thanks again to everyone on this forum!
1. child is Canadian and is not included as a dependent on your application, but is shown on the Additional Family form.

Reactions: MerLrx

MerLrx

Jun 10, 2022
That's correct, with caveat as long as your spouse was born in Canada or naturalized (and not a citizen by descent).

Your son is your dependent for all forms EXCEPT the form IMM0008. This form is the application to become a PR. Your son cannot become a PR if a citizen, and should not apply to become one.

You should include him on other forms such as family information.

No, you did the right thing. You can include a short letter that your son has applied for citizenship certificate and include a copy of that application. It will remove all doubt.

Sorry to bother u again but under IMM0008 there's this part that says

Dependants
You must provide details about each of your family members, whether they will come with you to Canada or not. You must list all your children even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada).
You must also include details on family members if you don’t know where they are (even those missing or presumed dead). If you don’t list them on your application, you will not be able to sponsor them later if your situation changes.
When prompted, you can add more family members by clicking “Add dependants.” You can also click “Delete” to remove any dependants. If you do not need to add family members, click “No.” Once you are finished, click “Complete and return to application” to save this form and return to the main application page.

from what I can read from here it tells me to include him in even if he is a citizen does that mean I do that?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry to bother u again but under IMM0008 there's this part that says
from what I can read from here it tells me to include him in even if he is a citizen does that mean I do that?
This is the online application?

The online version has different instructions than the paper one. Can't help you.

MerLrx

Jun 10, 2022
This is the online application?

The online version has different instructions than the paper one. Can't help you.
Oh yes unfortunately it’s online :(
Just wondering do you know if My spouse should fill IMM 1283 Financial evaluation?

it says to only fill it up if the person you are sponsoring has one or more dependent children, who has one or more dependent children of their own.

the sentence itself is confusing so I’m not too sure sorry

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
it says to only fill it up if the person you are sponsoring has one or more dependent children, who has one or more dependent children of their own.

the sentence itself is confusing so I’m not too sure sorry
If your spouse's children do not have children, then no.