+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency & RO

SJRT

Jul 18, 2019
Hello All

I am a permanent resident of Canada. My PR card will expire in August and i don't meet the residency obligation required to renew my card. I am currently inside Canada , and based on most things i read online I am planning to stay here until i have met the residency obligation. Am i breaking any laws in doing that?

In addition my husband wants to come visit me here for a month or two. Will his application for a visitor visa to Canada and my information being on his application, will that create a problem for me? Will they check my status and if i have met my RO when they process his application? Will i run the risk of being sent a departure order. Please help. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All

I am a permanent resident of Canada. My PR card will expire in August and i don't meet the residency obligation required to renew my card. I am currently inside Canada , and based on most things i read online I am planning to stay here until i have met the residency obligation. Am i breaking any laws in doing that?

In addition my husband wants to come visit me here for a month or two. Will his application for a visitor visa to Canada and my information being on his application, will that create a problem for me? Will they check my status and if i have met my RO when they process his application? Will i run the risk of being sent a departure order. Please help. Thank you.
Yes you can remain in Canada without a valid PR card. Your husband is unlikely to get a TRV with a spouse who is a PR in Canada. Technically he qualifies based on his own information but can’t guarantee they won’t look at your file.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello All

It doesn't break any laws.

They won't look at your RO for his TRV app.