+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency obligations

marroco

Jun 22, 2020
Kama Canadian perma ent resident who lives abroad oustide Canada. I am due to give birth at the end of September 2020 but may not be able to travel to Canada to because there are currently travel restrictions where I live to Canada. I am also required to settle in Canada before April 2022 in order to meet the obligation for permanent residents of spending 2 years in Canada, which I was planning to do in March but this is Un certain now too because of the pandemic. I would like to inquire what is the procedure to follow to obtain a permanent residency for my child if he/she is born outside canada? and in case it got rejected, will he/she will be allowed entry to Canada
-knowing that I come from a non visa exempt country- when, we enter to finally settle in March pending approval of a sponsorship? , anyone please. Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No he is not a Canadian citizen
Unfortunately, that means you need to fulfil your residency obligation. Which also means you cannot bring your new born to Canada with you and will have to sponsor the child once you return to Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but once the child is born you should apply for a passport and then try applying for a TRV so that you can return to Canada with the new born. Only once in Canada can you then apply to sponsor the new born for PR status. If you succcessfully manage to get a TRV approved and return to Canada you should research any requirements for health coverage requirements for the province you plan to setlle in.

One question though does your spouse also have PR status or will you also have to sponsor your spouse from Canada. If your spouse is not already a PR applying for a TRV for a spouse to accompany you versus a new born can be a challenge to get approvad. Neither TRV are guaranteed but a spouse TRV can be more challenging

Reactions: Buletruck

marroco

Jun 22, 2020
Others can comment as well but once the child is born you should apply for a passport and then try applying for a TRV so that you can return to Canada with the new born. Only once in Canada can you then apply to sponsor the new born for PR status. If you succcessfully manage to get a TRV approved and return to Canada you should research any requirements for health coverage requirements for the province you plan to setlle in.

One question though does your spouse also have PR status or will you also have to sponsor your spouse from Canada. If your spouse is not already a PR applying for a TRV for a spouse to accompany you versus a new born can be a challenge to get approvad. Neither TRV are guaranteed but a spouse TRV can be more challenging
Yes my spouse has a PR status. I understand that a trv frequently gets refused and then one might need to apply for a TRP which also has a high likelihood of getting refused.

marroco

Jun 22, 2020
When did you land in Canada?

A PR parent must Be in Canada to sponsor their child.
I landed at the end on March2018 and got my PR on 22/4/2018 so I think that means I should be there before 22/4/2021 but if I was planning to settle there finally in March and I am afraid that even if my spouse applies for the child before it will take a long time before the application is approved and I might miss my date on22/4

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yes my spouse has a PR status. I understand that a trv frequently gets refused and then one might need to apply for a TRP which also has a high likelihood of getting refused.
Unless you apply you will never know so is worth the few dollars investment plus although nobody here can predict would hope that the odds of a new born TRV to accompany 2 PR parents would be higher to be approved than say if you were applying for non PR spouse.

Good luck

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
I landed at the end on March2018 and got my PR on 22/4/2018 so I think that means I should be there before 22/4/2021 but if I was planning to settle there finally in March and I am afraid that even if my spouse applies for the child before it will take a long time before the application is approved and I might miss my date on22/4
If you landed at the end of march 2018 then you have to be back by the end of March 2021 to fulfill your residency obligations. I'm assuming you got your PR card on 22/4/2018 which is irrelevant to the date of your PR status. You can see at the back of your card your landing date, it says PR since....

Reactions: YVR123 and mpsqra

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You Or your spouse must meet your RO or you can’t sponsor your child until you are compliant with your RO.