Permanent Residency obligations

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks. Just interested to know how through appling ETA They will fin out I already have PR? Is that part of application questions?
Very easy to find out. eTA apps find people who were PRs decades ago and dont even know that they are still PRs.

You have pretty much no chance of making it into Canada without being reported.

NNN123451

May 2, 2016
Hello ,
My parents visa card is expiring soon and they are not meeting their RO, can they be stopped at Canada airport, please help!!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello ,
My parents visa card is expiring soon and they are not meeting their RO, can they be stopped at Canada airport, please help!!!
First point they will need to travel to Canada whilst their PR cards are still valid else they would need PRTDs which could result in their PR status being revoked given the PRTD application will highlight their failed RO.

If they have not met their RO it is possible they would be reported leading to their PR status being revoked subject to appeal. As PRs they would still be entitled to enter Canada pending any appeal.

If they enter the country without being reported they need to stay in Canada for 2 plus years to reset their RO and in this time should not attempt to renew their PR cards or have any dealings with immigration where RO may be questioned.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello ,
No - they cannot be stopped. However they can be reported at the border for failing to meet RO and the process to revoke their PR status started.

NNN123451

May 2, 2016
You mean they will be allowed to enter in canada but officer can ask them to revoke the PR status or appeal for PR to keep their status?

NNN123451

May 2, 2016
Also what kind of questions will be asked at the border, I just hope that officer allows them to enter as they wont be able to go back and their both kids are here in canada, because of that they took that long time to come here.

NNN123451

May 2, 2016
First point they will need to travel to Canada whilst their PR cards are still valid else they would need PRTDs which could result in their PR status being revoked.

If they have not met their RO it is possible they would be reported leading to their PR status being revoked subject to appeal. As PRs they would still be entitled to enter CAnada pending any appeal.

If they enter the country without being reported they need to stay in Canada for 2 plus years to reset their RO and in this time should not attempt to renew their PR cards or have any dealings with immigration where RO may be questioned.

Thanks BS65, I just hope they are allowed to enter in canada and doesnot have much stress at POE.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also what kind of questions will be asked at the border, I just hope that officer allows them to enter as they wont be able to go back and their both kids are here in canada, because of that they took that long time to come here.
If they wanted to remain in Canada they had to comply with the very lenient RO. They have put their status in Canada at risk. You will have to see what happens.

NNN123451

May 2, 2016
If they wanted to remain in Canada they had to comply with the very lenient RO. They have put their status in Canada at risk. You will have to see what happens.
I know..there was some problems, but now I just hope they enter in canada and then we will see if we have to renounce PR and then reapply.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As PRs they would be allowed to enter but it is possible they will be asked how long they have been away a question they should answer honestly given entry/exit history is recorded somewhere .

As Canuck has said they will just have to see what happens although having only spent 15 days in the country in 5 years the odds do not look great that they will not be reported, no way to predict and they may be lucky and just be welcomed back with no RO questions.

Also as sure you are aware the parents sponsorship process is a competitive first in process so if their status is revoked and an appeal not successful it could be years to sponsor them from scratch again.

NNN123451

May 2, 2016
As PRs they would be allowed to enter but it is possible they will be asked how long they have been away a question they should answer honestly given entry/exit history is recorded somewhere .

As Canuck has said they will just have to see what happens although having only spent 15 days in the country in 5 years the odds do not look great that they will not be reported.

Also as sure you are aware the parents sponsorship process is a competitive first in process so if their status is revoked it could be years to sponsor them from scratch again,

Yup I know it will be difficuilt but have no choice, next time we will ask them to apply for visitor visa before landing but this time as per your experience they will be allowed to enter in canada subject to appeal?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
They cannot be stopped from entering if they reach the border.

However it’s very likely that their PR will be revoked eventually and they will be asked to leave.

Depending on the revocation process and any appeals, you can expect them to stay for a couple of months. Of course they could win the appeal.

NNN123451

May 2, 2016
They cannot be stopped from entering if they reach the border.

However it’s very likely that their PR will be revoked eventually and they will be asked to leave.

Depending on the revocation process and any appeals, you can expect them to stay for a couple of months. Of course they could win the appeal.
If they have to leave before appealing then in that case, they need to apply for visitor visa? Eventually later can we reapply them for PR again?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If they have to leave before appealing then in that case, they need to apply for visitor visa? Eventually later can we reapply them for PR again?
Yes to both.

If their PR is revoked and they do not appeal or lose the appeal, they become a foreign national and are treated like any other foreign national in terms of getting a visa, applying again for PR etc.

You can expect that getting a visa might be a bit difficult the first time since their file will be looked at more closely. But there's no reason why they won't get it if everything looks good.