14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
arowberry said:
"that petition on change.org is extremely repetitive and completely ignores the fact that the people on working holiday open permits who have been here for 2-3 years with permanent full time jobs are also affected. its just focusing on post grad workers."

That is lame; you'd think they'd want to spend a bit of time to at least get a well written petition out there. Logically, only focusing on PGWP's instead of all OWP's would badly restrict the potential number of signatures.
IMO, I think all previously exempted from LMIA are affected by this 600 points req'm. Apparently PGWP have the most voice simply because there are much more PGWP than ICT/IEC/NAFTA-eligible. But then PGWP got hit the worst because it's close to impossible for a new graduate to earn prevalent wage.

Disclaimer: I am PGWP without LMIA, so I am affected by this. I did not signed the petition on change.org, I have yet to read it thoroughly and fully agree with them.

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So be the change you want to see and offer a better format of the petition. Im sure people who started that would love to consider it, if that gets them more signatures.

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
mf4361 said:
IMO, I think all previously exempted from LMIA are affected by this 600 points req'm. Apparently PGWP have the most voice simply because there are much more PGWP than ICT/IEC/NAFTA-eligible. But then PGWP got hit the worst because it's close to impossible for a new graduate to earn prevalent wage.

Disclaimer: I am PGWP without LMIA, so I am affected by this. I did not signed the petition on change.org, I have yet to read it thoroughly and fully agree with them.
The problem with the petition is that it is lobbying for something that contradicts what the CIC said about the Express Entry system. In discussing the launch of EE, the CIC has explicitly said that they expect a vast number of invitations for the first year to be given to folks without provincial nominations or LMIA-job offers. As such, it is very hasty to start petitioning after one draw that the system needs to be changed, because the first selection of < 1,000 people is obviously not representative of how the system is going to work in the long term. I am an immigrant and a supporter of a strong immigration system, but the petition is both poorly written and hastily formed. I can't see it being taken seriously since the program has barely launched.

The one thing I think the CIC can do better is improve communication about the # of draws, expected intake, and the status of caps for folks caught in limbo during the rule changes. It looks like they are already making some movements on that front, as they have been extending temporary work permits in Alberta after quite a few folks have been caught up with changes to the TSFW programs.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
mf4361 said:

I don't see what the big problem is. I'm in the same situation. I have a job that was exempted from LMIA. All I had to do was talk to my companies HR and they are now getting a LMIA for me. That's all you have to do.

unclesamy

Star Member
May 11, 2013
AshesNdust said:
I don't see what the big problem is. I'm in the same situation. I have a job that was exempted from LMIA. All I had to do was talk to my companies HR and they are now getting a LMIA for me. That's all you have to do.
not everyone is in a profession where they know their LMIA would be approved. Also some companies do not want to spend time, mney and effort to process LMIA. i hope ur LMIA gets approved.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
unclesamy said:
not everyone is in a profession where they know their LMIA would be approved. Also some companies do not want to spend time, mney and effort to process LMIA. i hope ur LMIA gets approved.
Thanks for the good thoughts. I don't know if it'll get approved and I think that's the whole point of the system. If the CIC rejects my LMIA because they feel a Canadian should have my job, then I shouldn't get the ITA.
My problem with this whole petition idea is that a lot of people responding to it sound extremely entitled. Simply put, Canada owes you nothing. It is a privilege to be invited.
If a company doesn't want to go through the trouble of trying to a get a worker their LMIA then I think that's a pretty big statement of the value they place on that worker's skills. If the skill level is fairly mundane, then why should should the job go to a foreigner?
I think Canada has every right to limit the number of PRs they allow and to hold a high standard. I am in the same situation as everyone else here. I'm hoping things go well for all of us, but I don't think I have the right to complain about how the CIC wants to run things They should make it a bit hard to get PR. People in jobs that have a higher skill set or ones that constantly are looking for workers should get invites first.
Just my opinion and good luck to everyone!

unclesamy

Star Member
May 11, 2013
AshesNdust said:
Thanks for the good thoughts. I don't know if it'll get approved and I think that's the whole point of the system. If the CIC rejects my LMIA because they feel a Canadian should have my job, then I shouldn't get the ITA.
My problem with this whole petition idea is that a lot of people responding to it sound extremely entitled. Simply put, Canada owes you nothing. It is a privilege to be invited.
If a company doesn't want to go through the trouble of trying to a get a worker their LMIA then I think that's a pretty big statement of the value they place on that worker's skills. If the skill level is fairly mundane, then why should should the job go to a foreigner?
I think Canada has every right to limit the number of PRs they allow and to hold a high standard. I am in the same situation as everyone else here. I'm hoping things go well for all of us, but I don't think I have the right to complain about how the CIC wants to run things They should make it a bit hard to get PR. People in jobs that have a higher skill set or ones that constantly are looking for workers should get invites first.
Just my opinion and good luck to everyone!
nobody is entitled for anything. by the way of petition we r making our concerns heard not saying we r entitled. by presenting how many people would be affected we hope for a change. our lives r going to change and i know u will say its our fault even so our lives r going to change and we r trying hard for it not to. like i have said many times no one hates immigrants more than immigrants themselves and seems like ur one of them. again good luck

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
seton said:
The problem with the petition is that it is lobbying for something that contradicts what the CIC said about the Express Entry system. In discussing the launch of EE, the CIC has explicitly said that they expect a vast number of invitations for the first year to be given to folks without provincial nominations or LMIA-job offers. As such, it is very hasty to start petitioning after one draw that the system needs to be changed, because the first selection of < 1,000 people is obviously not representative of how the system is going to work in the long term. I am an immigrant and a supporter of a strong immigration system, but the petition is both poorly written and hastily formed. I can't see it being taken seriously since the program has barely launched.

The one thing I think the CIC can do better is improve communication about the # of draws, expected intake, and the status of caps for folks caught in limbo during the rule changes. It looks like they are already making some movements on that front, as they have been extending temporary work permits in Alberta after quite a few folks have been caught up with changes to the TSFW programs.
Hm, great insights, thank you.

I do think starting petitions and getting public and media attention at this stage is early. That's why I am not wholly supporting it just yet, despite having some genuine points. (In fact, they might make things worse) Personally I would consider communicate with CIC or perhaps our local MP and see what they have to say first but I am not sure if they would care.

It's not right to feel entitled. They have rights to set immigration policies, but we have rights to voice our concerns too. It's the way of voicing I am troubling with this petition.

unclesamy

Star Member
May 11, 2013
mf4361 said:
Hm, great insights, thank you.

I do think starting petitions and getting public and media attention at this stage is early. That's why I am not wholly supporting it just yet, despite having some genuine points. (In fact, they might make things worse) Personally I would consider communicate with CIC or perhaps our local MP and see what they have to say first but I am not sure if they would care.

It's not right to feel entitled. They have rights to set immigration policies, but we have rights to voice our concerns too. It's the way of voicing I am troubling with this petition.
we r saying we on pgwp do bring good talents to the table dont just give up on us and hence the petition which would show how many r affected by the decision. we are not saying we r entitled . we r saying our lives hang in balance please see our usefulness too and here r so many signatures to prove number of lives r being affected.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
that's not what it's saying though. It's saying that post grad work permit holders should get exemptions to the rules. The same rules also affecting other permit holders.
that might not have been your intent but the way it's written and phrased is saying they should give you special consideration.

unclesamy

Star Member
May 11, 2013
purplesnow said:
that's not what it's saying though. It's saying that post grad work permit holders should get exemptions to the rules. The same rules also affecting other permit holders.
that might not have been your intent but the way it's written and phrased is saying they should give you special consideration.
yes it was started for pgwp holders and if i get enough view points for other work permit holders then i will add them too in the petition . at this point i dont know how many of other work permit holders r affected and what r their concerns.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Put simply Open work permit holders are in exactly the same situation. Been living and working in Canada in full time permanent positions for 2-3 years. The open permit meant companies didn't have to get an LMIA to hire them. Now all of a sudden, an LMIA is practically the only way they can guarantee to stay. OWP holders all brought skills, education, experience etc from their home countries too. There are literally thousands and thousands of people on OWP's.
But the main point here is that a petition to change something that has just been changed a couple weeks ago and we still don't know how it's going to work out, is pointless. It's a waste of time and energy. They are entitled to run it how they want and they have obviously considered how it will affect everyone already here. They chose to continue with this system. It is what it is, focus on your EE app.

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is a Petition(synonymous to request) and not a Protest.
In your terms, everything is a privilege then! working, living, even driving is a privilege. That still doesn't entitle someone to thrash your car and assume you wont react about it!

Right or privilege, un-egalitarian treatment is a condemnation in every case. Applicant who applied after Oct 20 were no less in any case than the ones applied before that! They are just trying to make a point. get them selves heard!

PGWPs or anyone in that matter should not be outside the rules, we just want them to be aware of the fact that there are people who have invested their everything to be successful in Canada an are finding themselves nowhere now! They have/are striving hard like any other Canadian to make their economy strong!
Just a word/ public release from them to pacify the agonized hearts of the applicants stuck in this Limbo, would be much appreciated! Thats it!

Right to Speech, Right to be heard and Right to information are NOT privileges!

Regarding the words of the petition and what message it gets thru, That has be polished a little bit, before it goes thru.
If someone has any suggestions to add/ include all OWPs instead of just PGWPs, Please offer your kind suggestions by all means!

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
unclesamy said:
nobody is entitled for anything. by the way of petition we r making our concerns heard not saying we r entitled. by presenting how many people would be affected we hope for a change. our lives r going to change and i know u will say its our fault even so our lives r going to change and we r trying hard for it not to. like i have said many times no one hates immigrants more than immigrants themselves and seems like ur one of them. again good luck
The only one sounding hateful is you and a nice touch of libel thrown in. Again, all I'm hearing is "Me, me,me." It seems all about the impact on your life with little or no consideration for Canadians and how this impacts them. That sounds pretty entitled to me.
And what are you even talking about with fault? No one is at fault over anything with this. The past CIC system didn't work well. The CIC has come up with a new one and is bringing the most qualified people. It sounds like common sense to me. They have not put any kind of ridiculous requires into the procedure. I will patiently go through the process and hope I get lucky enough to be granted PR in Canada.

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with the fact that the words of the Petition aint in its best shape!