+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency for Montreal (Quebec)

salimb

Oct 29, 2015
Hello there, my wife and I are looking to apply for permanent residency to live in Montreal.
However, we don't know what would be the best way to apply for it.

Should we apply desperately?

Do we need to take a language test?

Can we take the English one since it's cheaper?

Me:

- 26, Tunisian, Living in Canada for 6 years

- 1 year work experience as junior project manager in a software company (in Toronto with a 3 year work permit)

- Computer science degree from UBC

- currently living in Toronto

- French is my first language, but I have been studying and working in English for the past 6 years

Her:

- 26, French, Living in Canada for 1 year

- Currently a master student at the University of Montreal, but plan to move to med school after that (3 year student permit)

- Has a Medical degree from Romania

- Her first language is French, but is also fluent in English

I think we could have a strong application, but it's hard to find case specific advice for PR application.

Cheers!

sparkiss

Jun 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Sidney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Nomination.....
31-03-2016
AOR Received.
12-09-2016
LANDED..........
since 2009
salimb said:
Hello there, my wife and I are looking to apply for permanent residency to live in Montreal.
However, we don't know what would be the best way to apply for it.

Should we apply desperately?
Do we need to take a language test?
Can we take the English one since it's cheaper?
Me:
- 26, Tunisian, Living in Canada for 6 years
- 1 year work experience as junior project manager in a software company (in Toronto with a 3 year work permit)
- Computer science degree from UBC
- currently living in Toronto
- French is my first language, but I have been studying and working in English for the past 6 years
Her:
- 26, French, Living in Canada for 1 year
- Currently a master student at the University of Montreal, but plan to move to med school after that (3 year student permit)
- Has a Medical degree from Romania
- Her first language is French, but is also fluent in English
I think we could have a strong application, but it's hard to find case specific advice for PR application.
Cheers!
I think you have to get CSQ and follow fed stage after.
1. To get a CSQ through PEQ (it only takes 2-3 months)
- I don't think they take your experience into account as it's out of Quebec under CAQ. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)
- Once your wife has graduated, she's eligible for PEQ.
- Either of you or your wife's profile will used for selection as a main applicant.
2. To get a CSQ through regular program (it might take 12-24 months)
- Both of your profile should be used in the form
- Based on your French skills, educations, work experiences and ages that I can imagine, there's nothing to worry about except the processing time.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
You are a Canadian Graduate with 6 years Canadian experience. Can't you apply through Express Entry and then move to Montreal once you have PR in hand?

salimb

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah I didn't know what would be better.
Apply for express entry in Ontario or apply for Quebec skilled worker.

I am reaching my 1 year work experience in November, so I can apply for either then. I will then start looking for a new Job in Montreal (for this summer)

Can I apply for the express entry in Ontario and move to Montreal?
Can I apply for the quebec Skilled worker and move there before getting the result?

sparkiss

Jun 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Sidney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Nomination.....
31-03-2016
AOR Received.
12-09-2016
LANDED..........
since 2009
salimb said:
Yeah I didn't know what would be better.
Apply for express entry in Ontario or apply for Quebec skilled worker.

I am reaching my 1 year work experience in November, so I can apply for either then. I will then start looking for a new Job in Montreal (for this summer)

Can I apply for the express entry in Ontario and move to Montreal?
Can I apply for the quebec Skilled worker and move there before getting the result?
If you want to stay in Quebec you have to apply CSQ. If you want to reside outside Quebec, you shoud do Express Entry. There is tricks and workarounds but not recommended if you don't know what you are doing. Go for CSQ if you want to live in Quebec. Otherwise stay out of Quebec, don't mention about your moving plan to Quebec. Once you have PR, you can do whatever you want but this is the idea of how PR plan works.

salimb

Oct 29, 2015
sparkiss said:
If you want to stay in Quebec you have to apply CSQ. If you want to reside outside Quebec, you shoud do Express Entry. There is tricks and workarounds but not recommended if you don't know what you are doing. Go for CSQ if you want to live in Quebec. Otherwise stay out of Quebec, don't mention about your moving plan to Quebec. Once you have PR, you can do whatever you want but this is the idea of how PR plan works.
do you know how long it take for express entry vs CSQ?

Can I apply for CSQ (or express) and move/find a new job in Montreal before the result?

sparkiss

Jun 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Sidney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Nomination.....
31-03-2016
AOR Received.
12-09-2016
LANDED..........
since 2009
salimb said:
do you know how long it take for express entry vs CSQ?

Can I apply for CSQ (or express) and move/find a new job in Montreal before the result?
When you have CSQ and are applying federal stage as QSW, there is consent form that you have to sign. Basically you promise that you will live in Qeubec. You don't want to give them an impression that you are not sure if you would live in Qeubec or not.

Please refer to the previous post for the possible time line for CSQ and federal stage. PEQ takes a lot shorter time to get CSQ but requires Quebec experience and French test. You can easily pass the French test but you have to wait for your wife's graduation.
EE can be shorter than Quebec process assuming that you have an emplyment offer but you have to convince them as if you don't want to live in Quebec foreseable future. You'd better nit move to Quebec until you get PR.

salimb

Oct 29, 2015
sparkiss said:
When you have CSQ and are applying federal stage as QSW, there is consent firm that you have to sign. Basically you promise that you will live in Qeubec. You don't want to give them an impression that you are not sure if you would live in Qeubec or not.

Please refer to the previous post for the possible time line for CSQ and federal stage.
EE can be a lot shorter assuming that you have an emplyment offer but you have to convince them as if you don't want to live in Quebec until you get PR.
Oh, sorry I missed that! I don't think I can apply for PEQ since I graduated from UBC (in British Columbia).

So I guess my options (Since I will move to Montreal for sure) are:

- CSQ (6 months). then move to montreal with my work permit then apply for "Skilled Workers (Quebec)" (13 Months)

- Express Entry (6-8 Months) then move to Montreal

If I apply for either can I add my wife in my application, or should I wait for her to graduate, then apply for PEQ?

Cheers

sparkiss

Jun 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Sidney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Nomination.....
31-03-2016
AOR Received.
12-09-2016
LANDED..........
since 2009
salimb said:
If I apply for either can I add my wife in my application, or should I wait for her to graduate, then apply for PEQ?

Cheers
You can have your family member in the application.

yourstrulyuri

Sep 6, 2017
I have my CSQ and PR card already but I stayed in BC for 1 year. And, I want to move to Montreal after the tax season. There will be a problem if I moved back to Montreal even if I stayed first in BC?
Thanks