+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency Extension

mohit7269

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
I did my landing in Canada on July 17, 2016 and have been living outside of Canada since then. I am still currently looking for a job in Canada. I would appreciate your guidance on the below.

1. How much longer can I stay outside of Canada without losing my eligibility for PR renewal in case I continued staying outside Canada?

2. Given that PR is approved for 5 years, will I be allowed to enter Canada even after I have stayed outside of Canada for more than 3 years?

Appreciate your guidance.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1) assuming no time at all , or just a week as per other post for which you get credit, then must return by around July 23 2019 and then stay for 2 years minimum without leaving. So basically the longest you can stay away since initial landing would be up to 3 years after that you could at each new entry risk PR status being revoked .

2)as a PR you are always entitled to enter Canada but if you have failed the residency obligation at any time you enter you could be reported leading to your PR status being revoked. This could happen to you any time after around July 23 2019 although you could still anyway expect extra scrutiny having already been away so long.

As said if you enter without being reported you need to stay in the country for a minimum of 2 years to reset your residency obligation. If you let your PR card expire then that cannot be renewed from outside Canada so things become more complicated then and harder to avoid your PR status being revoked at some point.

Last edited: