+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency criteria

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This is mostly about procedural matters in making H&C decisions for PRs in breach of the RO (with some further clarifications to follow):

Does by any chance the officer has the right to stop anyone coming to Canada just because the officer feels that the person may never be able to meet the RO as the person in question was not able to provide satisfactory H& C Grounds at the POE . I have got in touch with a consultant who says the officer might just force you to return in next flight to home country if he feels the person hasnt provided a valid reason .But that looks very strange.I mean if a PR remains a PR till it has been cancelled by relevant authorities and has a valid PR card in hand how can an officer ask him to return back .
@IndianBos gave a good answer for this, except for one error: "H&C cases are determined during the appeal process, not at the border." This is NOT how it usually works. A good H&C case can make a big difference in the outcome at the Port-of-Entry.

If a PR is determined to be in breach of the Residency Obligation by a CBSA immigration officer at the PoE, the H&C case ordinarily will be determined then and there as part of the usual procedure, which is how it works in nearly all cases where a 44(1) Report is issued by border officials.

The important thing is that PRs abroad who understand they are in breach of the RO can prepare their H&C case before making the trip to Canada, and thus be prepared to present that case upon arrival if subject to a RO compliance examination at the PoE. Best to keep it as simple as possible, but to also have some documentation, if relevant, to support certain kinds of reasons for the delay in coming to Canada; for example, a letter from a doctor if a medical condition prohibited returning to Canada sooner. Be sure to have any supporting documents in hand (not in baggage).

This is especially important because, as best we can discern, the border officials are typically more lenient, more flexible, than the IAD, and there is no counsel or lawyer there to argue against the PR. It is difficult to know for sure, but it is very likely the PR's best chance of H&C relief and keeping PR status is at the border, not in an appeal later before the IAD.

It is also worth noting that there are anecdotal reports suggesting that even the first officer asking RO compliance questions typically asks the PR H&C related questions, such as asking "why" the PR remained abroad or otherwise had not come to Canada to settle sooner, AND that this apparently sometimes results in that officer waiving the PR through without conducting a more formal RO compliance examination, and importantly without issuing a 44(1) Report. This is not a formal H&C determination, it typically results in an admonition, and even if there is no admonition, no warning, it typically results in a note to the PR's file, a "flag" or "alert." But the key thing is the PR is waived into Canada.

Further explanation re 44(1) Report procedure at PoE and in IAD appeal --

In particular, actually there is no need to appeal unless the PR is issued BOTH a 44(1) Report and a Removal Order. Border officials MUST consider H&C factors BEFORE issuing a Removal Order based on a failure to comply with the PR RO.

This usually happens while the PR is still at the border. There are exceptions, such as where a second officer is not available to conduct a review of the 44(1) Report and determine whether the PR should be allowed to keep PR status based on H&C reasons . . . but those are cases in which the 44(1) Report remains pending, subject to a later interview with the second officer.

If the outcome of a border issued 44(1) Report is the issuance of a Removal Order, the PR has a right of appeal for 30 days. If the PR appeals, the IAD will conduct a hearing and determine, for itself (anew or "de novo"):
(1) whether the 44(1) Report was valid in law, and if the Report is determined to be valid in law, then​
(2) whether the PR should be allowed to keep PR status based on H&C reasons​

That is basically the same determination made by a second officer at the PoE. Or, in a few cases, following an interview days or weeks later.

That is, the substantive decision-making is the same, first by border officials deciding whether the Report is valid and whether to issue a Removal Order, or in an appeal where the IAD is deciding whether to uphold or set aside the Report and Removal Order.

There are some significant procedural differences however. PRs are not entitled to have a lawyer participate in the PoE examination but they are allowed to have a lawyer submit evidence and present the case in the process before the IAD. There are more formalities in the IAD hearing. The PR, either pro se or by an attorney, can make written submissions, and of course be more fully prepped for the IAD hearing. However, one other big difference is that counsel or a representative for the Minister can participate in the IAD hearing and present a case supporting the issuance and enforcement of the Removal Order.

It may appear, to some, that the better opportunity to make the H&C case comes in the appeal before the IAD. This most likely has to do with the extent to which PRs are unprepared to make their H&C case themselves during the course of questioning at a PoE, while in contrast when going before the IAD in the appeal they can be both better prepared, and with the assistance of a lawyer more focused on what matters. But in terms of decision-making based on roughly equivalent cases, it is likely that the odds of a favourable decision are generally better at the PoE than before the IAD, so being prepared to make the H&C case upon arrival can make a real difference in how things go.

Of course there are variables, contingencies, and nuances. While many H&C cases are relatively simple, they can get complicated, and it is very, very difficult to forecast outcomes (except in the more obvious situations, at both ends of things). Even though days in Canada pending the appeal do not count toward being in compliance with the RO, for purposes of calculating RO compliance at the IAD appeal hearing, they can count some as factors supporting H&C reasons.

Other Clarifications:

I do not mean to put too much emphasis on particular words, but there is a difference which really does makes a huge difference: "TRAVELING" to Canada is one thing, and being allowed to "ENTER" Canada is a different thing.

You refer to stopping someone from "coming" to Canada. A border official has no control over who comes to Canada. A border official determines who is allowed to actually, physically ENTER Canada, once the person has arrived here, once the person is in a Canadian PoE.

A traveler needs to present very specific documents to board commercial transportation coming to Canada. For example, PRs (with exceptions) need to present either a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to board an airline flying to Canada.

What is required to be allowed entry into Canada is not so strict. Thus, for example, for those PRs who can travel via the U.S., and who can thus travel to and arrive at a land border crossing PoE despite not having a valid PR card or a PR TD, they will still be allowed (must be allowed) to ENTER Canada. This is subject to proving their identity and showing they are the individual who has PR status. Typically this is easily done by presenting a passport and some documentation of status, like an expired PR card or copy of the PR's CoPR, or even just some other form of government identification since establishing identity will facilitate border officials verifying PR status in the individual's GCMS.

Reactions: armoured

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In reference to queries posted by @vineet1308 --

2. After 31st December 2024, since my PR card has expired, I need to stay in Canada to meet the 730 days requirement for another year and then apply for renewal of the PR card. Is this correct? This is incorrect. At the back of your PR Card, there is a date called "PR Since". Count 5 years from that date, and you have to stay in Canada for 2 years in those 5 years (this is residency obligation). You can apply for PR card renewal up to 6 or 9 months before the expiry date, just make sure you meet the residency obligation.
I do not mean to quibble much with this, but it is worth emphasizing that once the fifth year anniversary of landing has passed, the date of landing is essentially NOT relevant to the RO calculation.

My understanding is that the fifth year anniversary of when @vineet1308 landed, at the latest, is December 31, 2024 (but most likely some time prior to that, given this appears to be a date by which the PR card will be expired, as @armoured previously explained). So the "PR since" date on the PR card is not relevant after that date. After the fifth year anniversary of landing, the RO calculation is based on days in Canada within the five years prior to the date that examination is being conducted.

For purposes of making a PR card application AFTER the fifth year anniversary of landing, the date-of-examination is initially the date the application is made. However, if the PR was NOT in compliance with the RO as of the date of the PR card application, the PR will still be OK if by the time there is a formal determination of RO compliance the PR is in compliance by that date (based on days in Canada during the five years preceding that day), noting a PR will get credit for days in Canada after applying for the PR card (so long as no 44(1) Report has been issued, and no application for a PR TD has been denied).

In either case, nonetheless, it does NOT matter if the PR met or did not meet the RO during the first five years (in Canada at least 730 days by the fifth year anniversary of landing). After the fifth year anniversary of landing, landing date is no longer relevant in calculating RO compliance.

Thus, for example, if @vineet1308 is in breach of the RO but is not Reported upon arrival, @vineet1308 should wait to apply for a new PR card only AFTER the date that @vineet1308 has been in Canada at least 730 days within the previous five years as of that date.

Sreehari

Mar 15, 2017
I'm from India. I first landed in Canada on 20 May 2018 and left on 28 May 2018. I received my PR card at my friends home and then I never travelled to Canada after that as I got a job in Malaysia. My PR card expiry is 27 Sept 2023.

If I travel to Canada now, will I be admitted as I don't have a chance to live 730 days in Canada in the five years from 20 May 2018 or 5 years ending 27 Sept 2023.

If I'm admitted, can I travel in and out freely until 27 Sept 2023? Will my RO be examined only when I apply for renewal of card?

If I travel now and am admitted, will I be able to sponsor my wife if I meet other criteria? Will the RO checked if I put in an application for my wife's PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm from India. I first landed in Canada on 20 May 2018 and left on 28 May 2018. I received my PR card at my friends home and then I never travelled to Canada after that as I got a job in Malaysia. My PR card expiry is 27 Sept 2023.

If I travel to Canada now, will I be admitted as I don't have a chance to live 730 days in Canada in the five years from 20 May 2018 or 5 years ending 27 Sept 2023.

If I'm admitted, can I travel in and out freely until 27 Sept 2023? Will my RO be examined only when I apply for renewal of card?

If I travel now and am admitted, will I be able to sponsor my wife if I meet other criteria? Will the RO checked if I put in an application for my wife's PR?
Your questions were already answered here:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/new-pr-living-outside-of-canada.753503/#post-9885543