+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency card for new international graduate?

Ragib93

Nov 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am final year of Medical School in Europe. After graduation I will try to apply for residency spot in Canada. On carms.ca it is stated that in order to participate in Canadian matching system for residency most of hospital request from applicants to have at least permanent residency card. I would like to ask someone who had similar experience like me, is there any chances to get PR card as international medical graduate without job contract in Canada. I have Student Visa which last till 2025. and have one month clinical elective experience in Canada. Probably next year I will have additional 2 month of clinical experience in Canada. Do my clinical electives are considered during application for permanent residency?

Thank you in advance!

jman25

Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am final year of Medical School in Europe. After graduation I will try to apply for residency spot in Canada. On carms.ca it is stated that in order to participate in Canadian matching system for residency most of hospital request from applicants to have at least permanent residency card. I would like to ask someone who had similar experience like me, is there any chances to get PR card as international medical graduate without job contract in Canada. I have Student Visa which last till 2025. and have one month clinical elective experience in Canada. Probably next year I will have additional 2 month of clinical experience in Canada. Do my clinical electives are considered during application for permanent residency?

Thank you in advance!
No Chance! you must have at least 1-2 years of skilled work experience to even begin to consider applying for permanent residence in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It will also be very hard to match with a residency spot (maybe not rural GP). Lots of Canadians citizen who go to international med schools trying to match on top of the foreign trained doctors that are PRs. There aren't a ton of extra spots to begin with and people go unmatched.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Hi

I suggest you actually do a bit of research on the requirements to immigrate to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp