+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Permanent Residency] Can anyone help me finding a suitable category for me?

LDK

Jun 24, 2011
Hi, I am 22 years old girl who is just graduated from University of Alberta (with BSc.)
I am currently working as a laboratory assistant at my university (Permanent, full-time). Other than that, I only have ~6 months of working experience as a laboratory assistant (while I was undergraduate student with a study permit).
*I have a score of 68 for skilled worker's online self-assesment test (I have pretty good scores in every single category except in the working experience category).

So here are my questions: I do not know which category of immigrations I should be looking at.
1. Among skilled workers, provincial nominees, and canadian experience class what would be the fastest way for me to achieve the permanent residency status?

1-1. Could you please let me know the expected processing times too?

2. On Alberta's provincial nominee website, it says the provincial nominee candidates must be willing to live in Alberta, permanently. However in my case, I might need to move to other province within a year after I get my permanent residency. Would this be a problem?

3. Oh, is there any way to track your permit status? I applied for the post graduation working permit 2 months ago, but I think it is stuck at the Canada post office because of their strike (So now I am working with my SIN card with my study permit). So, please let me know if there is any way to track that.

I am very desperate at this point. I need the permanent residency to go back to school. So, please advise me with your knowledge!

Thank you for reading my post, and I hope to hear from you soon.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you really need a lawyer, try the owner of this forum. Click "assessment" on the right hand corner of this webpage.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1a. For FSW you need at least 1 year continuous full time skilled work experience to apply so you must work another 6 months to get that as well as you need to pass the 67 points mark and if you are under arranged employment, your work permit needs to remain valid throughout your processing. Processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp

1b. For PNP ask AINP what their processing times currently are. You would have an option of asking for a nomination as a graduate or as a worker. I do not know if there is any difference in the processing. After your nomination, you apply for PR, see processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/provincial.asp As an AINP nominee, your intention must be to settle in AB. You should at least land in AB and stay a couple of months after that but then you can leave. In case somebody asks later, your intention was to settle at the time you landed but you got an opportunity in another province after that.

1c. For CEC, you need to have 2 years of studies, 1 year of work and you need to get a decent IELTS. Processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-ec.asp

Note that for 1a. and 1b. you must stay with the same employer throughout your processing. If something happens with your project or your work permit expires and can not be renewed, you may lose your application. CEC on the other hand is independent of workplace, if you qualify, you may apply and your application will continue to be processed even if you leave Canada in the meantime.

Also note for 1a. and 1b. that you have a choice of applying through your native country or through the USA whichever you like better. For FSW, you might have to have an interview though so if you don't have or can't get a visa to the US, you might have a problem there.