+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency by working in Us

Nikcool4ever

Jul 11, 2019
Hello all,

I have my PR from canada and am currently working in us with a h1b visa.

I have read and heard that, working for a canadian based company in usa for 3 years, will make me qualified to get my citizenship.

Is this true?

Any help in this topic will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello all,

I have read and heard that, working for a canadian based company in usa for 3 years, will make me qualified to get my citizenship.

Is this true?

Thanks
This is completely UNTRUE.
There are very few exceptions to the physical presence requirements for Canadian citizenship application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=370&top=5

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello all,

Is this true?

Thanks
You still need to be physically present in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 years preceding each new entry just to keep your PR let alone citizenship.

The only exception for PR RO, and not even guaranteed, could possibly be if you were on a temp assignment from a Canadian company, still funded by that company and has been working for them in Canada for a few years previous to your temp assignment. Just working for a Canadian company directly in the US or any other country doesn’t count.

Citizenship is mandatory physical presence 3 years out of 5 no exceptions.