+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency application whilst on a IEC working holiday visa?

Smithontour

Aug 13, 2012
Hello,

I am British and my girlfriend Canadian. We have been living abroad for 3 years in Korea and Brazil. Now she will go to college in NS and I obviously want to come and work there to. We would quite happily get married if this was to help our options, however I have my concerns as the application processing time is SO LONG!! So, to be able to start working at the earliest opportunity, I think the IEC is my best option. I realise this year is full and I will have to wait until Jan next year to get one. So, if I was to come to Canada in Jan and start work (hopefully) then, would we then be able to get married straight away and apply for the PR? According to the CIC website it says it would be 11 months to get the step 1 if I am applying living in Canada. OR would I be able to apply as a person living outside of Canada, even though I will be on an IEC? And would it be possible to apply for a PR whilst on a IEC?

OR

Would it be best for me to come next week (which I am anyway), get married, apply for the PR as someone living outside, go home, then apply for the IEC in January whilst my PR is being processed?

I know its all very confusing but I have no idea what the best option is.

Any help would be incredibly gratefully received and appreciated.

Thanks