+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residence Visa Validity

ZIna91

Jun 23, 2015
So I just read the whole Instruction Guide again after all the new changes were made and noticed a new section talking about the PERMANENT RESIDENCE VISA VALIDITY.

QUOTE:

"How long is a permanent resident visa valid?
A permanent resident visa is issued for a period not extending beyond the earliest expiry date of the sponsored person’s (and any family members):

medical results
passports

Important information: Once issued, permanent resident visas cannot be extended. If applicants do not use the visas within their validity period, they must re-apply for immigration to Canada. Their sponsor will have to submit a new sponsorship application and pay new processing fees."

My question is, if my passport is valid till 2020, does it mean that my permanent residence will be issued only till then? Will I be eligible to extend it? I am applying from the inside of Canada. I BELIEVE THIS ONLY APPLIES TO APPLICANTS WHO APPLY OUTSIDE CANADA AND PLAN TO ARRIVE AFTER THEIR PERMANENT VISA IS GRANTED?

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your PR card will be valid for 5 years. Doesn't matter when your passport expires.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
ZIna91 said:
My question is, if my passport is valid till 2020, does it mean that my permanent residence will be issued only till then? Will I be eligible to extend it? I am applying from the inside of Canada. I BELIEVE THIS ONLY APPLIES TO APPLICANTS WHO APPLY OUTSIDE CANADA AND PLAN TO ARRIVE AFTER THEIR PERMANENT VISA IS GRANTED?
Your permanent residency will be just that - permanent. It will last forever, unless you lose it through not meeting the residency obligation, or being stripped of it for crimes or misrepresentation.

What you have quoted refers to the visa - the permission to travel to Canada to take up your permanent residency. It will normally last until 1 year after your medicals, or 1 year after your police checks, or the expiry of your passport (whichever is earliest of these). You only need to worry about a passport expiring in 2020 if you are applying in 2019 or later.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Bcboundboy said:
Your permanent residency will be just that - permanent. It will last forever, unless you lose it through not meeting the residency obligation, or being stripped of it for crimes or misrepresentation.

What you have quoted refers to the visa - the permission to travel to Canada to take up your permanent residency. It will normally last until 1 year after your medicals, or 1 year after your police checks, or the expiry of your passport (whichever is earliest of these). You only need to worry about a passport expiring in 2020 if you are applying in 2019 or later.
The police checks are not relevant. It's medical examination and passport dates that matter.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
zardoz said:
The police checks are not relevant. It's medical examination and passport dates that matter.
If you look at the notes/comments in the tracker spreadsheets, several people get asked for new police certs if they're going over a year for processing from issue.

Either which way, point for OP is - no, a passport 'only' having four years on it isn't any kind of a problem.

San02

Jul 5, 2016
Permanent Residence Visa Validity

Please Help

One of my friend's wife received ppr and her visa issued until Jan 05th
Now is it possible to extend visa as she won't be able to make it because of some medical issues

Your help would be appreciated

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
San02 said:
Please Help

One of my friend's wife received ppr and her visa issued until Jan 05th
Now is it possible to extend visa as she won't be able to make it because of some medical issues

Your help would be appreciated
Generally, it's use it or lose it. IRCC doesn't grant extensions because they except people to apply only they are ready. If she has serious medical issues preventing her from coming to Canada, I suggest they email the VO with proof and also contact the sponsor's MP for assistance.

jr4210

Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
5-03-2016 / SA 17-03-2016
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
Is the OP talking about the card, or about the visa sticker on the passport? I believe the visa sticker is tied to the validity date of the medicals, and one must do their landing before the expiry date mentioned on the sticker.

The validity of the PR card is 5 years however.

bhagiwhat

Feb 1, 2016
I think OP is talking about the VISA (sticker on the passport), and not the CARD (which is something you get after).

Anyone have any further info on how long this visa can be? I have gotten 6 months and others I know have too, anyone longer than 6 months?

(Also it's clear it cannot be extended, nobody's doubting that)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
bhagiwhat said:
I think OP is talking about the VISA (sticker on the passport), and not the CARD (which is something you get after).

Anyone have any further info on how long this visa can be? I have gotten 6 months and others I know have too, anyone longer than 6 months?

(Also it's clear it cannot be extended, nobody's doubting that)
It can vary from almost a year down to a few days. It's case by case.

Dewdrops1502

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Hi!

Can someone tell me, how early can I sponsor my husband living in India after I have immigrated to Canada? Is there a minimum time requirement or can I apply immediately after landing in Canada?
PS: Due to some constraints at the moment, we are not being able to apply together, so looking for alternatives.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi!

Can someone tell me, how early can I sponsor my husband living in India after I have immigrated to Canada? Is there a minimum time requirement or can I apply immediately after landing in Canada?
PS: Due to some constraints at the moment, we are not being able to apply together, so looking for alternatives.
There is no minimum time requirement as such but more importantly were you married before or after you landed as a PR ? Hopefully you did not land as single when in fact you were already married.

Dewdrops1502

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks!

We've been legally married for 16 years now and I will be including him as my non-accompanying husband in my EOI application, however, I'm just worried whether the government has any minimum time criteria set for spouse sponsorship like "You can only sponsor your spouse after you have lived for at least 12 months in Canada" or something like that.

educanvietnam

Apr 9, 2020
I'd like to know if anyone had their PERMANENT RESIDENT VISA not CARD expire. My spouse's PR VISA expired in Jan 2021 and with the pandemic going on right now, we don't want to return until everything calms down. Of course we cannot extend the visa, but can we apply for a new visa or does this mean she loses her PR status? Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks!

We've been legally married for 16 years now and I will be including him as my non-accompanying husband in my EOI application, however, I'm just worried whether the government has any minimum time criteria set for spouse sponsorship like "You can only sponsor your spouse after you have lived for at least 12 months in Canada" or something like that.
No such minimum. Assuming as above you include as non-accompanying, you can technically apply the day after you land to sponsor him. (Practically may be tedious if you've not received PR card yet but normally that comes within a couple of months)