+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residence Confirmation

benjaminralex

Jun 5, 2022
Hello,

I have applied for a Canadian PR (Quebec) under the family sponsorship program. My wife (dual, US and Canadian Citizen) is my sponsor. I am a US citizen, currently residing and working in the US.

I recently received an email with a PDF that asked me to confirm my details and also provide my estimated date of arrival in Canada. Once they receive that, the PDF states that I will be invited to the portal to confirming my landing in Canada.

Question: I will need some time to wrap up things in the US and move to Canada. Specifically because a family member is currently unwell and requires my assistance. What kind of a time frame can I provide?

Thanks!

Joey-Jo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2024
Just curious to know, since my own sponsor (husband) is in Quebec also.. have you already completed and sent the Quebec forms (not just the initial forms for Federal immigration (IRCC)), done biometrics, medical, had background verification and been marked as Eligible then?

Pragmatic

Apr 22, 2024
Hello,

I have applied for a Canadian PR (Quebec) under the family sponsorship program. My wife (dual, US and Canadian Citizen) is my sponsor. I am a US citizen, currently residing and working in the US.

I recently received an email with a PDF that asked me to confirm my details and also provide my estimated date of arrival in Canada. Once they receive that, the PDF states that I will be invited to the portal to confirming my landing in Canada.

Question: I will need some time to wrap up things in the US and move to Canada. Specifically because a family member is currently unwell and requires my assistance. What kind of a time frame can I provide?

Thanks!

I think it's best to explain your circumstances and why you ain't able to make it on-time.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Is this the ONLY option they offer you? What time frame is mentioned? Any limits?

When was your medical given/when does it expire?

My suggestion would be to request the passport request procedure, not the virtual landing, where you would submit your information while abroad and get a COPR that lets you land before expiry of the medical. (I think for US citizens you end up just sending a photocopy of your passport, and some photos, but still the same process; I think you either send to Ottawa or to a VFS office in NYC or LA).

Why? Then when you get the COPR, you simply fly to Canada some time for a weekend or a week, do the 'landing' where you become a PR, and then return permanently to reside when you're able.

[The reason I suggest this is the 'send us an email when you will be here and we'll arrange virtual landing' does not seem t be a reliable or timesensitive process - and they do expect you to be in Canada so you might be stuck. That said, it's possible they would organize this better and then you could just leave, too. But I KNOW the procedure described above works - you land, you go through the formalities in an hour or two, and you are a PR, and you leave and return when you like*.]

*Ignoring for the time being the residency obligation, i.e. as long as you return to Canada to stay in the next couple years.]