+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residence after marriage

Kredoml

Nov 10, 2012
At the end of the year i(u.s. resident)am getting married (canada resident) and am moving in with her. Im not worried about becoming a citizen right away or maybe not at all. I understand she can sponsor me as a spouse, but how do we file for permanent resident status after that. I still want to be able to cross border to visit family and such but while living with my wife.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Here is the Sponsor Guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

Main page from CIC:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

Unless you have other employment opportunities available to you or you don't need to work, you'll want to become a PR so you can work. If you aren't a PR, you can only stay in Canada for six months at a time without renewing your status (leaving and coming back) or filing an online extension. If you're near the border and plan to go back and forth frequently, you probably won't have issues with that part.... but you can be denied entry into Canada. It's rare, but it does happen.

In many provinces, you also won't have access to healthcare as a Visitor.

As you plan to go back and forth to the USA, applying Outland is recommended.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You say your girlfriend is a resident of Canada. Do you mean to say that she is a permanent resident? If she is, she can sponsor you for PR.

You can not officially move to Canada until you get your PR so you might not want to show up at the border with all your stuff in a u-haul.

If you apply outland, you may visit your wife for up to 6 months at a time. If you want to apply to extend your visitor status, you can do that as long as you prove when you entered the country. If you are a US citizen, they may not stamp your passport so you should either ask them to do that or ask for a visitor record. A visitor record is when they put your visa in writing, when you entered, how long you can stay. If you explain that your wife will sponsor you, they may decide to give you a year instead of 6 months.

If you want to apply inland, that is also a choice. In that case, you will have to stay in Canada during the processing because it is a requirement of inland that you are residing in Canada.

mastmunda.longi

Mar 6, 2013
hi .. i live in india and my girlfriend is a canadian citizen and we r in relation from last 3 years.so now we both wanna get married.so i wanna ask is
(1)can i go on a tourist visa to canada n get married. after marriage how long will it take to get pr.

(2)can i come to canada bby taking 1 year of study visa n then marry her there...n then can i get pr in 1 year during my study period or not or can i still live there without pr after my 1 year or study...

please reply soonnnnnn

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1) You can try, but visitor visas are hard to get. It generally takes 2-3 months to put together applications - but it really depends on how prepared you are. You should read your guides and country instructions to get familiar with what you need.

2) Once again, you can try, but you'll need to show one year's tuition plus 10K CAD living expenses. Your course must be approved and make sense or CIC won't even consider giving you a study permit.

Whether or not you can live in Canada after study depends on many things. If your wife sponsors you "Inland" you could apply for an open work permit and stay in Canada. If you sponsor "Outland" and you go to a qualifying school, you can ask for a Post Graduate Work Permit. Or you could change your status to visitor and remain as a tourist.

mastmunda.longi

Mar 6, 2013
actually i can get aa tourist visa very easily i dont hav any prob with that bc of my funds n all....all i just want to know is that can i marry her when i go to canada on tourist visa and u know well that we can stay for 6 months only on that visa....so in that six months can i get work permit or any other way to stay there or i hav to come back?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If my fiancé wants to study in Canada after marriage will he have to take the IELTS exam
So is your fiance a PR or an international student ? Maybe post in the international student section if the latter but generally IELTS is often required regardless of marriage for a study permit.

Very little information here to provide any useful feedback.

Also try to avoid posting in a 4 year old thread as here.

C

Classic Chucks

If my fiancé wants to study in Canada after marriage will he have to take the IELTS exam
Assuming after marriage, your fiance acquires PR status, then the answer to your question depends on the school he will be applying to. Most Canadian universities require IELTS or other English language proficiency tests if the student's first language is not English.

Last edited by a moderator: