+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Perm Residency expiry query

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
Hi all,
If i arrive into Canada 1 month before my Canadian Permanent Residency expires, and then remain in Canada until i can meet residency obligations for renewal, as i do want to permanently live in Canada, is it likely i will be stopped at the airport Border Customs for concerns on my renewal date?
Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's quite possible CBSA may report you if you arrive in Canada and don't meet the residency requirement. If you are reported, you will be allowed into Canada but will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status even though you don't meet RO. If the hearing doesn't go your way, your PR status will be revoked and you will have to leave Canada.

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
It's quite possible CBSA may report you if you arrive in Canada and don't meet the residency requirement. If you are reported, you will be allowed into Canada but will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status even though you don't meet RO. If the hearing doesn't go your way, your PR status will be revoked and you will have to leave Canada.
So i cant just use my Permanent Residency card at the automatic gates to get scanned through without a face-to-face interview? The truth is i have just completed a professional degree which also meets the requirement for immigration anyway, so i don't want to waste my time, or government time, redoing a whole new application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So i cant just use my Permanent Residency card at the automatic gates to get scanned through without a face-to-face interview? The truth is i have just completed a professional degree which also meets the requirement for immigration anyway, so i don't want to waste my time, or government time, redoing a whole new application.
Unfortunately if you get reported that will be your only option. Not sure why you applied when you did if you were considering being out of Canada for 4 years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certain use the automatic gates but that doesn't mean you'll bypass the face-to-face interview. Again, quite possible you may be reported. If you're reported, you should expect to lose your status unless you have strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet RO. Educational and economic reasons aren't accepted as reasons for failing to meet RO.

The fact you have a professional degree has no bearing on the situation. Maintaining PR status requires that you meet the residency obligation.