+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pens,notebooks,deodorants, frying pan , etc

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
hi

i will come to north vancouver in august end for my studies

was thinking whether i should carry pens, notebooks, deodorants, shampoo, toothpaste, etc for 6 months

an axe deo costs 150 (96ml) in india

will i get all these things at indian price at walmart and other savings stores?

what abt pressure cookers, frying pan,etc

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi

was thinking whether i should carry pens, notebooks, deodorants, shampoo, toothpaste, etc for 6 months

will i get all these things at indian price at walmart and other savings stores?
You could end up paying import duties on it instead. Not worth sacrificing space and weight in suitcase for that.

Non electric cookers, I presume. ANything electric has to work on 110 current.

Canada has Ikea, The Brick, Canadian Tire and more places to buy such things. There is also kijiji, craigslist, local papers and garage sales for cheap second hand stuff.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itstime said:
You could end up paying import duties on it instead. Not worth sacrificing space and weight in suitcase for that.
That is incorrect. I suggest you read the relevant publication in the Canada border services agency website carefully.

Last time I was being inspected by a customs officer at YVR airport. I brought food, shampoos, deodorants, ipad, toothpaste, etc, but the customs officer did not ask me to pay any duties because I was within my allowances. It's pretty fine if you have the space and weight to do so, especially if prices for the same items in Canada is more expensive than the item you purchased in the other country or that item can only be purchased in the other country.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi

Dude you wont get all this stuff at Indian prices at walmart. For that you have to stay in India and complete your education from an Indian University.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Just buy it in Canada. Saves you for paying extra luggage. No frills is cheap or you can even just get all at the dollar store.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
That is incorrect. I suggest you read the relevant publication in the Canada border services agency website carefully.
Actually, no, I am right. Anything you bring should be old and owned at least 6 months and used by you or you will have to pay duties.

There are allowances as to how much you are allowed to bring in new and duty free but above that value, you pay duties.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itstime said:
Anything you bring should be old and owned at least 6 months and used by you or you will have to pay duties.

There are allowances as to how much you are allowed to bring in new and duty free but above that value, you pay duties.
That's a better answer :D

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi

Buying textbooks from India would save you more.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Rossei said:
Buying textbooks from India would save you more.
Textbooks are chosen by profs. You wouldn't know what was required for the course until given the outline. If you meant exercise books or lined three hole punched paper, google Staples or Walmart and see what amazing back to school prices they offer. Last night in tv they advertised tons of items for under $1. False economy to import. And as I said on one of the other threads, Superstore is only a 5 minute walk from CapU and has lots of back to school offers as well.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Pippin said:
Textbooks are chosen by profs. You wouldn't know what was required for the course until given the outline. If you meant exercise books or lined three hole punched paper, google Staples or Walmart and see what amazing back to school prices they offer. Last night in tv they advertised tons of items for under $1. False economy to import. And as I said on one of the other threads, Superstore is only a 5 minute walk from CapU and has lots of back to school offers as well.
I meant TEXTBOOKS and you're right. You may not know about them till each course website is open or given instruction by the Prof. As a first timer, you may not know this. But we knew what textbooks to buy before semester starts. You just have to know from senior students/TA/GA. Anyways, long story short, in engineering, textbooks will cost you $100~$200/per in Canada. There are always other options to buyback old books (goes pretty fast), Kijiji, Ebay or copy them. I personally preferred my own book throughout the term (though it wasn't/won't be latest edition), wanted to save money and hence brought 70% of my textbooks from Bangladesh (Indian print).

6 courses/textbooks per term = 6 x $150 = $900
6 same books/printed copies/older editions = 6 x $10 = $60
Shipping cost = $100

That was my save = $900 - $160 = Say $700/term

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo