+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC requirement

Bansribhatia

Feb 3, 2023
Hi, I am applying for my citizenship and have a question related to " In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)", . Prior to 2nd Oct 2019, I was staying in India. I landed in Canada on Oct 2nd 2019 and have not been to India since then for more than 183 days. Please let me know if i still need to provide the PCC for India while applying for citizenship now.

Rohan Thomas

Feb 3, 2023
I am in the same boat with this question. I was in India 2018-19 for more than 183 days and landed straight to Canada in Nov 2019. The question on the online form, only asks if you have been outside the country for 183 days or more in the past 4 years with a Yes/No answer option.

I feel saying No could be taken as a misrepresentation and the answer should be Yes. If we say Yes, it asks to list the country and the follow up question is Will you provide a police certificate with a Yes/No response option. The IRCC website (Guide: Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) CIT 0002 - Canada.ca) Question 10, part b says

"You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years"
Since India is my country of origin, I believe we don't need to provide a PCC and could say No to if we will provide a police certificate and in the explanation mention that we are exempt from needing this as the country is country of origin.

I believe this should be fine but would love to hear from anyone else if this makes sense or there is another route we should be taking.

Reactions: Bansribhatia

Bansribhatia

Feb 3, 2023
I am in the same boat with this question. I was in India 2018-19 for more than 183 days and landed straight to Canada in Nov 2019. The question on the online form, only asks if you have been outside the country for 183 days or more in the past 4 years with a Yes/No answer option.

I feel saying No could be taken as a misrepresentation and the answer should be Yes. If we say Yes, it asks to list the country and the follow up question is Will you provide a police certificate with a Yes/No response option. The IRCC website (Guide: Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) CIT 0002 - Canada.ca) Question 10, part b says

"You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years"
Since India is my country of origin, I believe we don't need to provide a PCC and could say No to if we will provide a police certificate and in the explanation mention that we are exempt from needing this as the country is country of origin.

I believe this should be fine but would love to hear from anyone else if this makes sense or there is another route we should be taking.
Thank you so much for your help

Reactions: Rohan Thomas