+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC from Indian Consulate Chicago

pnel

Jul 22, 2020
Hello All,

As of today, the Chicago consulate's website says that walk-ins for PCC are no longer available. So, I had no choice but to send my original passport along with Personal Particulars form and all the other needed documents to them today. I am kind of anxious because of the whole "original passport in a mail" thing. More so because my passport was issued in India and going by the thread here it might take a long time before it receive the PCC. Has anyone recently applied for PCC via mail? If so, can you please share the turnaround time. Just looking for some positive response to soothe my anxiety. Thanks in advance for your help.

pnel

Jul 22, 2020
Hello Experienced people with PCC,

I applied for PCC via mail for me and my wife together at Chicago Consulate. My passport was renewed at Chicago Consulate and they sent the PCC as well as passport back in a few days. However, they are going to take a month to provide PCC for my wife(her passport was issued in India).
Does anyone know the next steps? Do I need to submit any additional forms for my wife? How do I know that Chicago Consulate has received the clearance or if they are still waiting on response from India? Is there a site you can check the status?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Hello! Can you please confirm if and when the embassy sent the PCC for your wife?

vj9

Star Member
May 29, 2017
Hello All,

As of today, the Chicago consulate's website says that walk-ins for PCC are no longer available. So, I had no choice but to send my original passport along with Personal Particulars form and all the other needed documents to them today. I am kind of anxious because of the whole "original passport in a mail" thing. More so because my passport was issued in India and going by the thread here it might take a long time before it receive the PCC. Has anyone recently applied for PCC via mail? If so, can you please share the turnaround time. Just looking for some positive response to soothe my anxiety. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi , did you get your Passport & PCC yet?

pnel

Jul 22, 2020
Hi , did you get your Passport & PCC yet?
Hello,

Thanks for checking. Yes, I got the passport and the letter back fairly quickly ( I think in 2-3 working days).
NOTE: My passport was issued in India.

vj9

Star Member
May 29, 2017
Hello,

Thanks for checking. Yes, I got the passport and the letter back fairly quickly ( I think in 2-3 working days).
NOTE: My passport was issued in India.
Hey, thanks so much for the quick reply. I'm glad you got it so fast. :)

Scalphunter

Star Member
Jun 20, 2020
I applied for the PCC from the Chicago consulate on Thursday and the documents reached last Friday. Hoping to get the PCC this week.

prashant89

Aug 6, 2019
Hello All,

I just mailed all my documents to Chicago Consulate on Monday. Tracking shows it reached on Tuesday but I do not see any update whatsoever online. My application number just shows the Application submitted. Can anyone share some info on their experience with online tracking. Should I be calling them to confirm?

Also, I spoke to the consulate about sending the passport. They told me they did not need it as long as I sent a notarized copy of passport pages. So I have not sent it.

Scalphunter

Star Member
Jun 20, 2020
Hello All,

I just mailed all my documents to Chicago Consulate on Monday. Tracking shows it reached on Tuesday but I do not see any update whatsoever online. My application number just shows the Application submitted. Can anyone share some info on their experience with online tracking. Should I be calling them to confirm?

Also, I spoke to the consulate about sending the passport. They told me they did not need it as long as I sent a notarized copy of passport pages. So I have not sent it.
For me, they actually did a police verification on my Indian address, so it took a couple of weeks to get the PCC. I remember sending my passport. The return tracking wasn't very useful and was never activated.

prashant89

Aug 6, 2019
For me, they actually did a police verification on my Indian address, so it took a couple of weeks to get the PCC. I remember sending my passport. The return tracking wasn't very useful and was never activated.
Thanks very much for the reply. When you say return tracking, are you talking about the USPS/Fedex tracking or the status tracker on the "passport seva" website?

prashant89

Aug 6, 2019
For everyone applying at Chicago:

- You do not need to send in the original passport. I have called and confirmed with the consulate.
- Make sure the address you give in India is where your family member is residing and they have some sort of address proof to provide for police verification. (Like Electricity or Gas Bill)
- The address you give in India can be different than what is mentioned in the passport. But someone needs to be staying there.
- Lot of banks are not doing notary on documents requested by Consulate. So I got notary done at a Moneygram (money exchange) office downtown. They charged me $1 per page.

There is an online status tracker on the passport Seva website. Please use this.

- After there was no update for a few days I emailed the consulate for the update. They immediately started the process and online tracking was activated.
- Police verification is all about luck. For me they needed it. It started 2 days after they started my process. A police officer in Hyderabad did not call my parents and just went home.
- Verification was done in 1 day.
- PCC was printed and shipped in the next 2 days.

Total days taken is about 12 Days for me from the time of submission. But I had to follow up and make sure they started the process. Online tracker at passport Seva website is a major help.

I hope this information helps others.

nik2021

Oct 4, 2021
Hello everyone, going to apply for PCC from Chicago. They outsourced this service to VFS in May of 2021. Can someone please share their experience here.
Thanks