+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paying Income tax for the first time in Canada

journeys49

Apr 26, 2010
Hello guys, I moved to Canada last year from the US, I didn't find a job for the first 4 months and only worked about a month (dec 09) in Canada. Now I was gonna file my taxes and what I need to know is that do I need to state my US income on the Canadian income tax forms. Someone told me I'm suppose to. but I've already paid my US taxes from 09 and don't see why I'd have to mention that on here. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
Ck

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
There are several posts that cover this issue well. Just alerting you to the wealth of information on this topic.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You won't pay taxes to Canada on your U.S. income. But you still need to report it.

Call the revenue office and they can help you. They'll even tell you which forms to use.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
You could contact the local CRA office and explain this. The fact that you are volunteering the information will create all sorts of brownie points for you. But it's important that you take the initiative, rather than explaining after they approach you.

Jonboy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
White Rock, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-07-1999
journeys49 said:
Hello guys, I moved to Canada last year from the US, I didn't find a job for the first 4 months and only worked about a month (dec 09) in Canada. Now I was gonna file my taxes and what I need to know is that do I need to state my US income on the Canadian income tax forms. Someone told me I'm suppose to. but I've already paid my US taxes from 09 and don't see why I'd have to mention that on here. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
Ck
You don't need to report your US income until you became tax resident in Canada. From what you say it looks like you moved to Canada in July/August 2009. In that case any income you earned in the US from January to July 2009 is of no interest to the Canadian government.

Jonboy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
White Rock, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-07-1999
thaiguy said:
You won't pay taxes to Canada on your U.S. income.
You may well have to if it was earned after you became tax resident in Canada. If it was before then you don't need to report it.

Jonboy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
White Rock, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-07-1999
thaiguy said:
You don't pay taxes on the same income to both the U.S. and Canada.
You can. For example, if you are tax-resident in Canada and earn US employment income, you will pay US employment taxes on that income. You also declare these earnings on your Canadian tax return. You will pay to the Canadian government to the extent that the Canadian tax due on that income exceeds the US tax already paid.

jordankevin47

Apr 6, 2011
Hello All,

I was recently referred to the Tax Collectors Bible by a friend, i must say that i am absolutley blown away by how valuable the information in this book is. I am going out of my way to introduce this book to everyone i know, and even those i don't know. this book is a MUST read for every Canadian tax payer.

You can download the book from this site taxcollectorsbible dot com

Happy Reading, and do the Canadian thing and share this book with everyone you know.

kevin Jordan.