+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paying education for my niece

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi forum, I am a Canadian citizen working in Toronto and I sponsored my wife and daughter who are coming soon. Is it enough to say that I will pay for the studies and all the expenses of my niece if I want to bring here to study? if so, what documents I need to present or my niece needs to present to get a student permit? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi forum, I am a Canadian citizen working in Toronto and I sponsored my wife and daughter who are coming soon. Is it enough to say that I will pay for the studies and all the expenses of my niece if I want to bring here to study? if so, what documents I need to present or my niece needs to present to get a student permit? Thanks for sharing your experience.
Assume she has yet to apply but it is not enough for you to say that you will fund her studies and expenses. She needs to show her own funds that she can come to Canada. You can provide your bank statements but whether it is considered is up to IRCC. You are not considered an I’m meditate or extended family member so funds/payments can be stopped by you. There is no obligation for you to support her. Don’t know her age, but if under 22, her family should show some support.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What level of schooling? Primary / secondary or post secondary?

You'll want to show you have enough funds to support your family as well as your niece's expenses. For your niece's expenses, you'll need to show a bank balance of $25,000. Note that study permits generally have lower chances of being approved if the sponsor is not an immediate family member.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi @scylla , my niece will end this year her secondary school, and she wants to study at the College for Sep 2023. I am her uncle, the brother of her father, I am not an immediate family member? Thanks for sharing your experience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @scylla , my niece will end this year her secondary school, and she wants to study at the College for Sep 2023. I am her uncle, the brother of her father, I am not an immediate family member? Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm still not clear if she is coming to Canada to complete her secondary school studies or if she will be coming in September 2023 for her college studies.

Either way, you'll want to show a bank balance of at least $25,000 (approx. $15,000 annual tuition + $10,000 living exepenses). I would recommend you show more since you are supporting yourself and your own family in Canada.

No, IRCC does not classify you as an immediate family member. You are an extended family member. The application will be stronger if her parents can show they have the funds required to pay for her studies. However you can certainly try applying as her sponsor and see what happens.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Immediate family is your spouse, children and parents. According to IRCC guidelines, your brother is considered extended family but not your niece. She can apply with your funds and see how it goes but her family (given her age) should be supporting her studies. Hopefully her program is 2-3 years at a public college. Her program needs to show that she will have career opportunities when she returns home.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Thanks @scylla & @Naturgrl , in order to show that I have the funds to support my niece (her parents have a low income), she will need to present in her application for student visa my bank balance showing 25,000 canadian dollars, right? is it important to show how long I have this balance in my bank account, movements in my accounts and the source ( my work in Canada)? or it is just to show the balance at the day of her application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks @scylla & @Naturgrl , in order to show that I have the funds to support my niece (her parents have a low income), she will need to present in her application for student visa my bank balance showing 25,000 canadian dollars, right? is it important to show how long I have this balance in my bank account, movements in my accounts and the source ( my work in Canada)? or it is just to show the balance at the day of her application?
- Yes, she will need to include your bank statement in her application. Again, my recommendation would be to have a bank balance well above the $25,000 since you are also supporting yourself and your family in Canada.
- No, it's not important to show how long you've had this balance.
- I would recommend you also include a letter of employment and payslips in the application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
$25k is the minimum amount to show just to cover your niece's schooling. You want to show even more funds so you can support your family and their living expenses. On the IRCC site for a study permit, it states that they ask for 4 months of bank statements.
Study permit: Get the right documents - Canada.ca