+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paying a pro to write resume/Cover letter

Zhindouki

Aug 27, 2018
Dear CanadaVisa team, hope this mail finds you well.

I'm looking to change job right now, but i'm finding hard time getting an interview (only got one interview that went really well out of maybe 500 application)

Thinking of getting a professional writer to help pass the ATS stage, is it really effective? Will i get more interview chance by paying 150 to 350 CAD?

Could you please support me on telling which resume writer are the best? I'm in the digital marketing field.

Thank you for your help guys.

Kind regards.
Zaki.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I'm looking to change job right now, but i'm finding hard time getting an interview (only got one interview that went really well out of maybe 500 application)

Thinking of getting a professional writer to help pass the ATS stage, is it really effective? Will i get more interview chance by paying 150 to 350 CAD?

Could you please support me on telling which resume writer are the best? I'm in the digital marketing field.

Kind regards.
Zaki.
Wouldn’t waste your money. Have you tried networking? What kind of industry are you in? Where were you trained? Do you have experience at any well known company? You have only been in Canada for less than 3 months. Have you been applying all over Canada?

Zhindouki

Aug 27, 2018
Wouldn’t waste your money. Have you tried networking? What kind of industry are you in? Where were you trained? Do you have experience at any well known company? You have only been in Canada for less than 3 months. Have you been applying all over Canada?
Hi Canuck, thank you for your Reply, I'm working in the marketing and advertising field, I'm here since now 3 months and I have already a job but it's based in Montreal, so have to commute twice a week which is really painful.

I don't have a canadian degree and I don't know anyone in my field in Ottawa so networking is stil hard.
I have experience indeed in well known companies but at this point I'm not having any luck when it comes to getting an interview.

From my readings i saw that most recruiters use ATS to filter resume, so if you don't know how ATS works

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Marketing and advertising are notoriously difficult sectors to get into. There are lots of people interested in working in the field but not a ton of jobs. Canada is a relatively small market. Ottawa is really not really where advertising and marketing jobs will be primarily located. Mostly Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Would encourage you to also consider other industries or at least broaden your definition of what a marketing and advertising job would be. You could pay to get your resume written by someone but unless you have some recognizable work experience or education you will likely get filtered out even if you make it through the filters. If you have an online portfolio then hopefully you can grab someone’s attention but like I said you are trying to get into an extremely competitive market where creativity versus a resume will probably get you an interview.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
It is definitely a waste of money. If you are unsure of the quality of your resume format, I recommend this format - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vam9TEB-6-tkaENSEwdZ5yZNStXHmcz1/view?usp=sharing - it was shared by someone in this forum. I know many who succeeded using this and getting interviews. You should stick only to two pages, no matter what, and I also recommend PDF for formatting as it looks lot cleaner. You should also customize your resume to the job being applied.. just use the key words, phrases as it is present in the job description.

Since you are already employed in your field, I suggest you at least complete 1-2 years before trying out. One thing I have noticed with Canadian employers is that they look for people who have worked in long term assignments and don't prefer people who have been in to short assignments. Since you have been employed once since 3 months in your recent job and looking for a change, that could be another reason for resume not getting short listed. You could either hide it or wait at least for one year before trying to change jobs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree. It wasn’t clear from your post whether you were employed in your field or just in an office job but why don’t you move to Montreal or why haven’t you moved their already. Working for a short period for a company, unless it is a short contract, will make you look unreliable. Like anyone looking for a job, it is best to remain mobile and go where the job is unless you own a house or have to stay in a city because of a spouse. Ottawa is a strange choice based on your field of interest.

basedgod

Apr 25, 2019
There is this amazing website called LinkedIn ;).

You should try it out. Create an account and put everything you know in it. It will create a resume for you.

Now, resume creation was not the reason I recommended you to try LinkedIn. The main reason is that it will help recruiters reach out to you to for jobs. Upgrade to pro and click the box that says you are looking for jobs. This will increase the chances of your profile being highlighted when they search for candidates using filters.

Good luck.

Reactions: canuck78

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014

Kind regards.
Zaki.
SEEN by indeed would do this free of charge for you.
Having said that I would say networking works best than trying to beat an ATS reader.
Reach out to recruiters, keep adding them to your network on linkedin.
You are in the marketing and advertisement field, market yourself and use some of the skills that you have acquired over time to advertise yourself to the recruiters