+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Patronymic (Naming procedure)

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Hello helpful people,

I would like to get your expert opinions on how I should proceed on this.
My common-law partner is Kazakh (Russian origin) and has a patronymic (Fathers name) in her name on all documents issued in Kazakhstan (Surname + Given Name + Patronymic) and a patronymic name is the official name used in post soviet countries (National ID, birth certificate etc.).

The patronymic is indicated in Cyrillic characters (not in Roman alphabet) in the Visual Inspection Zone (VIZ) on her National ID card but NOT indicated in its machine readable zone (MRZ) which is in Roman alphabet. The patronymic is indicated in Cyrillic on her birth certificate (not in Roman alphabet).

The patronymic is NOT indicated on her passport in Roman alphabets in the VIZ and is NOT indicated in the MRZ in Roman alphabets.

My questions are -

1. Should her patronymic name be included in our e-APR as AKA (alias) or other name ?
We did not indicate it while filling in our EE profile (pre-ITA).

2. CIC's instructions to acquire Kazakstan's PCC indicate (under Special notes and considerations) that :
"The police certificate must indicate all names you have used while in Kazakhstan." -

a. Is a patronymic considered as an other name for the purpose of PCC/Passport/Travel etc.?
b. If yes, how should it be mentioned on the PCC?
c. If no, should it be mentioned at all on the PCC? or better just stick with the name on the passport?

The kinks here are kinda driving me nuts! I would really appreciate any valuable assistance I get here!

links I referred to but still confused - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/identity-management/naming-procedures/names-structures-record-them-gcms.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/identity-management/naming-procedures/names-structures-record-them-gcms.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/kazakhstan.html

@DelPiero07 @legalfalcon @canuck_in_uk

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello helpful people,

My common-law partner is Kazakh (Russian origin) and has a patronymic (Fathers name) in her name on all documents issued in Kazakhstan (Surname + Given Name + Patronymic) and a patronymic name is the official name used in post soviet countries (National ID, birth certificate etc.).

The patronymic is indicated in Cyrillic characters (not in Roman alphabet) in the Visual Inspection Zone (VIZ) on her National ID card but NOT indicated in its machine readable zone (MRZ) which is in Roman alphabet. The patronymic is indicated in Cyrillic on her birth certificate (not in Roman alphabet).

The patronymic is NOT indicated on her passport in Roman alphabets in the VIZ and is NOT indicated in the MRZ in Roman alphabets.

My questions are -

1. Should her patronymic name be included in our e-APR as AKA (alias) or other name ?

2. CIC's instructions to acquire Kazakstan's PCC indicate (under Special notes and considerations) that :
"The police certificate must indicate all names you have used while in Kazakhstan." -

a. Is a patronymic considered as an other name for the purpose of PCC/Passport/Travel etc.?
c. If no, should it be mentioned at all on the PCC? or better just stick with the name on the passport?

The kinks here are kinda driving me nuts! I would really appreciate any valuable assistance I get here!

links I referred to but still confused -
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/identity-management/naming-procedures/names-structures-record-them-gcms.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/kazakhstan.html

1. If the patronymic name does not appear in the passport, no need to include it in the e-APR. The passport is the identification document, and the name as it appears on it, will be indicated on all immigration documents.

2(a) No, patronymic is not considered as a other name. However, do indicate this in the LoE. When the security search is done, patronymic name may appear, so to add any confusion, mention all this in LoE and also include the copies of the national ID and birth certificate.

2(b) On the PCC, the patronymic name should be mentioned, the way it should be. You will scan and send the PCC anyway. So no need to worry on that end.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: seemefree

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Hello helpful people,

My questions are -

links I referred to but still confused -

@DelPiero07 I would really appreciate your comment as well on the above, as I trust your feedback. Thanks a lot in advance!