+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paternity Leave for new immigrants to Canada

KuyaGareth

Aug 13, 2018
Hi everyone, new here..

I was born in Winnipeg, but have been living in the US since 1996 (I have dual-citizenship)

My wife (US citizen) and & would like to move to Vancouver and start a family.

I’m wondering how soon after we move can we take advantage of Paternity Leave?

Would it generally take 2 years for my wife to become a permanent resident?

Does me already being a Canadian citizen help matters?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
- Gareth

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, new here..

I was born in Winnipeg, but have been living in the US since 1996 (I have dual-citizenship)

Thanks
- Gareth
You need to have worked 600 hours to qualify for mat leave so I would assume the same. You and your wife will have to wait between 2-3 months to get healthcare. Your wife will likely get PR before a year.

Reactions: valeria_pac

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone, new here..

Thanks
- Gareth
Hi

Apply outland now and your wife will likely be a PR in around 6-8 months.

valeria_pac

Oct 15, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

valeria_pac

Oct 15, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Can someone work while pregnant and then get a maternity leave somewhere before delivery
Yep, that's exactly how it works. Women usually start their maternity leave just a few days before giving birth, although if they have complications they may want to start it earlier, say a few (or several) weeks before the expected delivery date.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It can be quite hard to find a job if you are visibly pregnant because it is obvious that you will only be working temporary. You have to work 600 hours before you qualify. Maternity benefits are just a fraction of your salary so you need t plan for the decreased income and then the childcare costs!

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
It can be quite hard to find a job if you are visibly pregnant because it is obvious that you will only be working temporary. You have to work 600 hours before you qualify. Maternity benefits are just a fraction of your salary so you need t plan for the decreased income and then the childcare costs!
By a fraction can you give me the average percent range

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi @canuck78 , any idea if we are eligible for paternity benefits(QPIP) working for a US company but staying in Canada on a PR? Yes, i have already worked 600hours !! Planning to take off for 4 weeks( for which i dont get paid in US)? is this a valid scenario/eligibility??

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi @canuck78 , any idea if we are eligible for paternity benefits(QPIP) working for a US company but staying in Canada on a PR? Yes, i have already worked 600hours !! Planning to take off for 4 weeks( for which i dont get paid in US)? is this a valid scenario/eligibility??
Why...

Did you pay EI or QPIP premium on your pay cheques? (Highly unlikely that your US employer will pay Canadian EI/QPIP premiums)
https://www.rqap.gouv.qc.ca/en/wage-earner/eligibility-conditions
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/payroll-deductions-contributions/employment-insurance-ei/quebec-parental-insurance-plan-qpip/questions-answers-about-quebec-parental-insurance-plan-employers.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/what-deducted-your-pay.html

Have paid or owe a QPIP premium during the qualifying period
[*]

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are right. No, i haven't paid any.
The trick is that they have to be "insurable hours". You have the hours but they aren't insurable hours.

Reactions: canuck78