+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport's Gap

lcpng

Star Member
Sep 30, 2022
I received an email requesting for an explanation regarding my passport's gap. Just wondering should I worry if my application will be returned because of this? Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I received an email requesting for an explanation regarding my passport's gap. Just wondering should I worry if my application will be returned because of this? Thanks!
What do you mean by passport gap? You just didn't ahve a valid passport for a while?

Short explanation is all that's needed like 'forgot to apply to renew passport before old one expired.' (Or whatever the real reason was.)

lcpng

Star Member
Sep 30, 2022
What do you mean by passport gap? You just didn't ahve a valid passport for a while?

Short explanation is all that's needed like 'forgot to apply to renew passport before old one expired.' (Or whatever the real reason was.)
Old passport got expied December 2021, and didn't get a chance to renew it until March 2022 because we don't have my country's consulate here and I had to wait until March 2022.

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Old passport got expied December 2021, and didn't get a chance to renew it until March 2022 because we don't have my country's consulate here and I had to wait until March 2022.
Write a letter of explanation with the correct reason why weren't you able to renew the passport. This will work.

My daughter's passport had a gap of 4-months because during the pandemic the passport renewal service was on-hold. I provided this reason in a letter and that worked.

Reactions: armoured and lcpng

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Letter of explanation, they're just checking that you haven't left any information out (i.e. no other passports).

Reactions: lcpng

lcpng

Star Member
Sep 30, 2022
Write a letter of explanation with the correct reason why weren't you able to renew the passport. This will work.

My daughter's passport had a gap of 4-months because during the pandemic the passport renewal service was on-hold. I provided this reason in a letter and that worked.
Thank you! Actually, my application was already submitted, and I just received an email yesterday they are requesting for an explanation. But I am just worried if they might return my application because of this gap.

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Thank you! Actually, my application was already submitted, and I just received an email yesterday they are requesting for an explanation. But I am just worried if they might return my application because of this gap.
If they had to return your application they might have done it without sending an email. Since they have asked for more information, simply write the letter and submit.

Reactions: lcpng

lcpng

Star Member
Sep 30, 2022
Letter of explanation, they're just checking that you haven't left any information out (i.e. no other passports).
Thank you! Do you think I need to prepare an "actual letter" with my signature, or I can just post in the link provided? Sorry, I just want to make sure

Passport Gap(‘s) :

· There is a gap in the validity period of the passport covering the (5) years immediately before the date of the application.
· Please provide an explanation why the passport does not cover the entire period of time from 2021/12/22 to 2022/04/26 and whether you traveled outside Canada during that period.
You may send the requested information/document(s) or any questions regarding your application via the Web form at the following link or send the requested information, and a copy of this email, to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) at the address at the bottom of this email.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023

Hi,

I'm also applied Citizenship and i too have gap in passport dates ,

Please can you send me sample letter that used for explanation letter.

RMinna

Star Member
Jan 26, 2023

Hi @Tommy2581

I'm also applied Citizenship and i too have gap in passport dates ,

Please can you send me sample letter that used for explanation letter.

Nocila

Feb 5, 2023
Can anyone who's had to provide info for a passport gap say how long it took for their response to be reflected on the tracker? I sent my response in a couple of weeks ago, but the tracker isn't showing it, and somewhere I read that they need the response within 2 months, so I'm a bit anxious for proof that they have attached my response to my application. I applied online, if that makes any difference...

As an example, I responded through the web form saying something along the lines of:

I was asked to provide more information on a gap in my passport. This gap was due to the fact that I did not have a passport before [date]. I lived in [country] during this time, but travelled to Canada multiple times, as can be seen on my application, and travelled using an enhanced ID. I do not have any information for my enhanced ID because I had to surrender it to the province of [province] when I got my Canadian driver's license.

Mistymac

Dec 2, 2022
June 2022 applicant here. I had two passports in the 5 yrs they looked at. On the application I explained that my old passport expired and I needed a new passport for future travel. I received no updates (beyond AOR) until Nov 28th when they asked me to provide an explanation or provide a copy of my old travel document.
I don't know why my first explanation wasn't enough. I tried to submit a copy of the bio page of my old passport through email and they didnt get back to me until Jan 17th to say they couldn't read it (i sent it twice in 2 different formats and both come up no problem for me). This time I sent it and an explanation via registered mail. It was signed for Jan 23rd. Nothing has been updated on my tracker. Still says waiting on you.
Everything else still in process or not started.

My advice to you is don't bother sending any copy of docs via email. Even followkng their directions did not work for me. I honestly feel like this delayed things for me.