+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport via regular mail or Xpress?

ssalehan

Nov 22, 2018
Hey guys! I made the mistake of sending my passport via UPS Express Post and just found out that CIC will return passports only via Canada Post. This means that they will not use my UPS return envelope and send the passport back via regular mail. Does anyone have any insights on that?

A Canada Post employee mentioned to me that she’s never seen CIC return envelopes through regular mail though and that they will find a way to charge me. I don’t know but I find this highly unlikely - she may be misinformed.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? How long are your passports taking via express post?

My flight is booked for Christmas Day :(

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Hey guys! I made the mistake of sending my passport via UPS Express Post and just found out that CIC will return passports only via Canada Post. This means that they will not use my UPS return envelope and send the passport back via regular mail. Does anyone have any insights on that?

A Canada Post employee mentioned to me that she’s never seen CIC return envelopes through regular mail though and that they will find a way to charge me. I don’t know but I find this highly unlikely - she may be misinformed.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? How long are your passports taking via express post?

My flight is booked for Christmas Day :(
You are misinformed. They will either use your prepaid envelope or dispatch using Canada Post. I have received my passport through CP standard mail which was quite an experience tho!

Reactions: bellaluna

ssalehan

Nov 22, 2018
You are misinformed. They will either use your prepaid envelope or dispatch using Canada Post. I have received my passport through CP standard mail which was quite an experience tho!
Hello King.bill thanks so much for your reply response! Can you tell me how long it took for you to receive your passport via standard mail?

I called CP today and they told me that it shouldn’t take longer than 5-7 business days as they are clearing all backlog before Christmas.

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Hello King.bill thanks so much for your reply response! Can you tell me how long it took for you to receive your passport via standard mail?

I called CP today and they told me that it shouldn’t take longer than 5-7 business days as they are clearing all backlog before Christmas.
My passport was sent from CPC-

My passport was dispatched from CPC-O and it took about 10 days to arrive, I was living in AB at that time. I did not provide a prepaid envelope at all. Lol.

ssalehan

Nov 22, 2018
My passport was sent from CPC-

My passport was dispatched from CPC-O and it took about 10 days to arrive, I was living in AB at that time. I did not provide a prepaid envelope at all. Lol.
Ohh ok ok! Thanks! I’m just worried because of the strike - otherwise I would still not be this tensed. But I’m just so anxious right now.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Yeah they will probably use the UPS Express Post envelope. Just check if your tracking number is activated.

ssalehan

Nov 22, 2018
It hasn’t been activated yet. I’m so worried because regular mail doesn’t even get a tracking number :(

Hemanth202

Nov 28, 2018
Hello guys

I have sent my passport to newyork location via usps and also provided with return envelope,will be my passport sent back to me with the same return envelope or they will Use Canada Post to send it back??? And how long it takes to get back the passport after visa approval??