+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PASSPORT VALIDITY - PERMANENT RESIDENT

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Hello!
Just wanted to ask if the 6 months passport validity is also a rule in Canada for Permanent Residents coming back to Canada after vacation?
I chatted with a VAC agent and he said yes - Canada required 6 months validity of passport. However, I read online that Canada does not have that 6 months rule.
Please advise thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello!
Just wanted to ask if the 6 months passport validity is also a rule in Canada for Permanent Residents coming back to Canada after vacation?
I chatted with a VAC agent and he said yes - Canada required 6 months validity of passport. However, I read online that Canada does not have that 6 months rule.
Please advise thank you!
1. The VAC agent is incorrect. As long as you have a valid PR card and travel before the passport expires, you are good to go.
2. The US has a 6 month rule for visitors after the expiry of the visa
3. Shengen countries 3 months
4. Canada and Mexico do not enforce the six-month rule. Belize and Honduras are the Central American countries that have consistently required six months of validity, and Nicaragua's policies may all but require it depending on the length and nature of your stay. A number of South American countries also enforce the six-month rule, including Argentina, Paraguay and Ecuador, which also includes the Galapagos Islands.