+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport & Stamp Translation- URGENT

KT_2017

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hello,
Any one had to have their passport and / or stamps translated?
does the entire passport have to be translated or only time frames after we became PR?
could you please advise what the cost was and how long it took to have the documents translated?
What kind of stamps need translation? I used to live in Dubai so a lot of stamps are in Arabic, but most of them have entry/ exit along with dates and some other stuff written in arabic on the stamps. would i have to go those translated?
some Dubai Visa stickers have only all arabic information. those have to be translated as well right?
there are some stamps in arabic that have no english at all, i am assuming those will have to be translated for sure.
My exam is in 2 weeks so im starting to panic about this now.
I am in Calgary, so anyone from Calgary if they reply would be extra helpful.
Appreciate everyone's help. Thanks

LoveCanada881

Jul 17, 2017
No need to panic, you still have plenty of time..
I don't think you have to translate all the pages of your passport, I mean if your travel document was in a language other than English or French you probably had to translate your biographical pages when you submitted your application in the first place..
It doesn't mention anywhere on IRCC website that we need to translate all the pages of our passport, but I believe it could be a safe bet for you to translate your stamps that are in a language that the immigration officer is not able to read.
Again from an official standpoint (IRCC website) nothing seems to point to a stamp translation requirement but reading through the different threads of this forum, it seems like passport stamps are scrutinized and compared to the info you indexed in your application..
I haven't received my test invite yet but I will definitely translate any stamps that are in a language that the immigration officer is not able to read.
Since I am in Calgary as well, I have heard about this place that I was considering going to :

Immigrant Services Calgary
#1200, 910 - 7th Avenue S.W.Calgary, Alberta, CanadaT2P 3N8
Phone: (403) 265-1120
Fax: (403) 266-2486
Email: info@immigrantservicescalgary.ca
40$ 1-4 stamps fixed price

I haven't really compared them to anyone else but a friend of mine used them and told me they are just fine..
I am not recommending them to you or promoting them but at least it gives you an idea about the price you might have to pay to get your stamps translated

swapno

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
I don't think you have to translate all the pages of your passport, I mean if your travel document was in a language other than English or French you probably had to translate your biographical pages when you submitted your application in the first place..
It doesn't mention anywhere on IRCC website that we need to translate all the pages of our passport, but I believe it could be a safe bet for you to translate your stamps that are in a language that the immigration officer is not able to read.
Again from an official standpoint (IRCC website) nothing seems to point to a stamp translation requirement but reading through the different threads of this forum, it seems like passport stamps are scrutinized and compared to the info you indexed in your application..
I haven't received my test invite yet but I will definitely translate any stamps that are in a language that the immigration officer is not able to read.
Since I am in Calgary as well, I have heard about this place that I was considering going to :

I haven't really compared them to anyone else but a friend of mine used them and told me they are just fine..
I am not recommending them to you or promoting them but at least it gives you an idea about the price you might have to pay to get your stamps translated
1. I am on the same boat. I have a stamp in my passport and family members passport during the transit through Dubai. Does anyone have idea where I can translate my passport stamp near Hamilton, Ontario area. I am okay with greater Toronto area if something is not available in Hamilton, Ontario.
2. Does it have any validity (6 months?)? Like I am applying in August. So Do I need to do it before Test?

Appreciate any help for this. Thanks

Hashad

Mar 2, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
Any one had to have their passport and / or stamps translated?
does the entire passport have to be translated or only time frames after we became PR?
could you please advise what the cost was and how long it took to have the documents translated?
What kind of stamps need translation? I used to live in Dubai so a lot of stamps are in Arabic, but most of them have entry/ exit along with dates and some other stuff written in arabic on the stamps. would i have to go those translated?
some Dubai Visa stickers have only all arabic information. those have to be translated as well right?
there are some stamps in arabic that have no english at all, i am assuming those will have to be translated for sure.
My exam is in 2 weeks so im starting to panic about this now.
I am in Calgary, so anyone from Calgary if they reply would be extra helpful.
Appreciate everyone's help. Thanks
You do not need to translate stamps from Dubai, personal experience.

Reactions: DESIGN.IQ

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
1. I am on the same boat. I have a stamp in my passport and family members passport during the transit through Dubai. Does anyone have idea where I can translate my passport stamp near Hamilton, Ontario area. I am okay with greater Toronto area if something is not available in Hamilton, Ontario.
2. Does it have any validity (6 months?)? Like I am applying in August. So Do I need to do it before Test?

Appreciate any help for this. Thanks
1- No need to translate Dubai stamps. Any stamps with both English and another language do not need to be translated. I had many AD and DXB stamps that I did not translate. I only translated stamps from Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

2- All the residency for AD and DXB should be in both Arabic and English (mine was AD), BUT the cancel stamp (in Arabic) on each expired visa should be translated to "CANCELED". I only translated this.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The IRCC citizenship application instructions make it clear: any information not in an official language needs to be properly translated.

Anecdotal reports of personal experience amply illustrate that this policy is not uniformly or strictly enforced, that it is sometimes enforced but many times not enforced.

In particular, the translation of information which is not in an official language, in passports, is one of those areas in which IRCC practices are often more flexible and lenient than the IRCC policy.

Nonetheless, the safest approach, as always, is to follow the instructions and comply with the policy. Otherwise, it can be difficult to forecast how flexible or lenient IRCC will be in a particular individual's case.

For qualified applicants, the difference is mostly about the risk of inconvenience and delay due to non-routine processing, which in this context is usually limited to a follow-up request (at or following the interview) for the applicant to submit proper translations. So a failure to bring proper translations to the interview usually risks no more than having to obtain and submit them anyway, and incurring the delay that results in.

. . . does the entire passport have to be translated or only time frames after we became PR?
There are no exceptions stated in the policy, the rule for providing a translation. And, the scope of examination of documents, generally, can be far broader than the primary purpose for presenting the document. Thus, for example, while examiners (processing agents, interviewers, or such) are ordinarly focused on particular information, such as being focused on stamps showing dates of travel during the relevant time period, if the document is in any respect relevant, there are no fixed parameters limiting what an examiner can look at and consider . . . for example, any part of a document can be relevant for purposes of assessing the authenticity of the document. So, in general, the rule is to translate everything not in English or French.

This throws this query into the realm of what are the risks if this or that is not translated, and the recognition that it readily appears IRCC is not overly oppressive or strict about translations.

It thus comes down to a personal judgment.

I would offer this: in some circumstances, a partial translation might tend to invite questions, but of course that would depend on the particulars.

It doesn't mention anywhere on IRCC website that we need to translate all the pages of our passport . . .

. . . Again from an official standpoint (IRCC website) nothing seems to point to a stamp translation requirement
Stamps are not mentioned in particular in the general instructions, that is true. But there are numerous references in the citizenship instructions to requiring translations for any documents not in English or French, and as reflected in literally hundreds of IRCC forms and guidelines, IRCC policy clearly requires the submission of proper translations for any document not in English or French.

Instructions with notice to attend test/interview:

I have not seen a recent version of the instructions sent to the applicant, and over time this has varied some from local office to local office. Of those I have seen, including the instructions I personally received, the list of documents to bring to the apppointment included, specifically, the following:

"Passports (current and all previous) and certified translation if any stamps/visas are not in English/French"

And as noted, that is consistent with IRCC policy generally, across the board, for virtually any circumstance in which a client is submitting or presenting documents to IRCC, that policy requiring a proper translation.

Longer Explanation:

Caution: Make no mistake, the policy, the rule, is that if a document submitted to IRCC includes any information in a language other than one of the official languages, the document needs to be accompanied by a properly authenticated translation of all information not in one of the official languages.

This applies across the board, for almost every instance, for nearly every document submitted to IRCC attendant the processing of an application. This is the general policy, not just for citizenship applicants but almost all applications to IRCC. (See, for example, IRCC FAQ governing immigration applications generally, which states that unless IRCC says otherwise, all supporting documents must be in English or French, and specifies that otherwise a translation must be submitted. There are literally hundreds of IRCC forms, instruction guides, PDIs, and Operational guidelines which all say basically the same thing, that "any document not in English or French" needs to be accompanied by a proper translation, from documents for eTA processing to every kind of visa application there is, including requests for a citizenship certificate by those who are a Canadian citizen.)

As for citizenship applications in particular, this is referred to in the citizenship application instructions multiple times.
see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp
for PDI also see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/translation.asp

But, as anecdotal reports above illustrate, it is clear that IRCC does not so mechanically and strictly apply such policies as to be unreasonably oppressive, and again, many reports reflect no problems despite the absence of translations for some information not in an official language. I can add my own experience to such reports (but in my case the information was minimal, not in Arabic but rather another language using the Latin alphabet, and relatively easy to understand for anyone fluent in French and to a significant extent even English).

To be clear, in contrast to the reports of no problems despite the absence of a translation, there are also many personal, anecdotal reports from applicants whose application processing was delayed because they were required to follow-up the interview by submitting a properly authenticated translation of passport stamps even where there were only a few stamps which the applicant believed were easily understood without translation.

Reminder: translations by the applicant or a family member do not comply with the requirements.

So, whether to risk it is a personal choice. Again, the risk is merely that IRCC will require the applicant to provide the translation, which will delay the process some, but ordinarily will not put the outcome of the application in jeopardy. And there is little indication that the absence of a translation alone risks triggering other non-routine processing, such as RQ. (But of course if there are concerns about the applicant's travel history underlying IRCC's decision to require the translation, that would be different. And there are both forum anecdotal reports and FC decisions reflecting such situations.)

Relatively safe bet:

In general, it appears it is probably (but not always) safe to go without a translation if the amount of information involved is relatively minimal and the respective stamp or visa, or whatever, is otherwise easily understood, and in particular if dates are readily understood without a translation. But do not mistake this for the rule. And the risk of being required to submit a translation goes up the more information there is in a non-official language, and the risk goes up a lot more if the absence of a translation leaves any doubt as to the meaning or significance of information in the passport.

General caution about what can be learned from anecdotal reports:

As always, remember that anecdotal reports are NOT a reliable indicator of the rule or policy. They only reflect an example of what CAN happen based on an experience showing what has happened for a particular individual, and they do not reflect what will or must happen to another applicant, and they absolutely do not illuminate what in particular cannot happen.

Overly broad generalizations based on anecdotal experiences is perhaps the most pervasive error seen in forums like this.

This applies in particular to the various anecdotal reports indicating no problem despite not having all passport stamps translated. The fact that IRCC has been lenient for ten or a hundred applicants is never a guarantee the rule will not be strictly enforced for some other individual.

Mazcar

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
I have 38 stamps on my passport, most of them are in non-English languages.
Do I have to translate them all?? That's going to be so expensive.

KT_2017

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017

Thank you for the information. I did give them a call and actually found their total to be a little higher than the other place I found. But it was good to compare

await

May 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Colombo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-11-2009
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
File Transfer...
26-02-2010
Med's Request
05-01-2012
Med's Done....
12-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2012
I actually have some stamps that are in total arabic, but there are others that have entry/ exit written in english.
Same here. I have a couple of Dubai entry/exit stamps clearly in both languages Arabic and English. However, on entry to Dubai I have additional 2nd stamp which is only in Arabic. This is in addition to the normal entry stamp you get in Dubai. Do I need to translate that? Really appreciate any recommendations.

Many thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have 38 stamps on my passport, most of them are in non-English languages.
Do I have to translate them all?? That's going to be so expensive.
have a couple of Dubai entry/exit stamps clearly in both languages Arabic and English. However, on entry to Dubai I have additional 2nd stamp which is only in Arabic. This is in addition to the normal entry stamp you get in Dubai. Do I need to translate that?
Reminder: Instructions which accompany the notice for the interview/test typically have a list of documents to bring, which usually includes something similar to the following:

"Passports (current and all previous) and certified translation if any stamps/visas are not in English/French"

Always best to follow the instructions you personally receive. If this, or something similar, is included in your instructions, that should clearly, unequivocally, answer any questions about what stamps need to be translated (a properly authenticated translation). That being any stamp which has information in a language other than English or French.

For those considering not fully following the instructions, see previous post about IRCC's flexible, sometimes lenient approach, and the risks (mostly a risk of having to follow up the interview by submitting the translations and incurring the delay in processing that would involve, so a risk of mild inconvenience but nothing serious).

Further reminder: General IRCC policy calls for a translation of any document not in one of the official languages. If in doubt about the particular instructions, IRCC almost always wants a proper translation for any information which is not in English or French. That is, it is best to assume a translation is required unless it is clear otherwise. That said, again IRCC can be rather flexible, even lenient, in the extent to which the policy is applied.

await

May 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Colombo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-11-2009
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
File Transfer...
26-02-2010
Med's Request
05-01-2012
Med's Done....
12-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2012
Reminder: Instructions which accompany the notice for the interview/test typically have a list of documents to bring, which usually includes something similar to the following:

Always best to follow the instructions you personally receive. If this, or something similar, is included in your instructions, that should clearly, unequivocally, answer any questions about what stamps need to be translated (a properly authenticated translation). That being any stamp which has information in a language other than English or French.

For those considering not fully following the instructions, see previous post about IRCC's flexible, sometimes lenient approach, and the risks (mostly a risk of having to follow up the interview by submitting the translations and incurring the delay in processing that would involve, so a risk of mild inconvenience but nothing serious).

Further reminder: General IRCC policy calls for a translation of any document not in one of the official languages. If in doubt about the particular instructions, IRCC almost always wants a proper translation for any information which is not in English or French. That is, it is best to assume a translation is required unless it is clear otherwise. That said, again IRCC can be rather flexible, even lenient, in the extent to which the policy is applied.

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Point taken. I'll get the all Arabic only stamps translated. Would you recommend the Dubai entry/exit stamps which are in both languages(Arabic and English) to be translated as well?

await

May 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Colombo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-11-2009
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
File Transfer...
26-02-2010
Med's Request
05-01-2012
Med's Done....
12-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2012
I got all my non English passport stamps translated. Better safe than sorry I guess. The all Arabic stamp on entry to Dubai turned out to be a 96 hour transit visa.

For anybody who's looking for translations I can recommend Docsbase (www.docsbase.ca) This was the 2nd time I used them. Best price in town and unbelievable turn around time, got mine in less then 24hrs