12-07-2011
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
Hi all,
Just about to submit application via London for Outland common-law sponsorship.
Looking at the (massive!) Outland London thread, I've seen a few comments from people about having their passport sent back to them in Canada.
I was under the impression (thanks to our excellent free immigration adviser who's funded through a provincial immigration centre) that I had to provide a UK address as London will only send information to the UK and wouldn't send my passport back to me in Canada.
Can someone who has gone through this please clarify for me???
My parents will be the middle-men, if it does have to go through the UK...

regine

Apr 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a question, why are you sending the application to London and not the Mississauga office?

Maid_Marian

Star Member
May 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/07/2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
Because, as a British citizen who's been in Canada for a year on a working holiday visa, I've got 3 offices to choose from: Missisuaga (Inland application), Buffalo (no idea why) and London (Outland application). I'm going with the office back home because the processing time there is 9 months, compared to 12-18 months Inland. Just want it done as quickly as possible! Plus, applying Outland means that I can travel more freely while processing is happening (so long as I maintain my visitor status whenever I'm in Canada)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Maid_Marian said:
Because, as a British citizen who's been in Canada for a year on a working holiday visa, I've got 3 offices to choose from: Missisuaga (Inland application), Buffalo (no idea why) and London (Outland application). I'm going with the office back home because the processing time there is 9 months, compared to 12-18 months Inland. Just want it done as quickly as possible! Plus, applying Outland means that I can travel more freely while processing is happening (so long as I maintain my visitor status whenever I'm in Canada)
1. You realize that your application and the sponsorship with all the supporting documents are sent to Mississauga? Mississauga will send the application to London after determining that the sponsor is eligible.
2. The lawyer was wrong, London is one of the few offices that will send passports outside their processing area.

sthomas

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 May 2011
AOR Received.
5 August 2011
File Transfer...
21 June 2011
Med's Done....
05 April 2011
Passport Req..
27 July 2011 (Passport & Appendix A)
VISA ISSUED...
22 August 2011
LANDED..........
19 September 2011
Please read CIC Website for your reference. :) They are right, it has to be sent to Missisuaga.

Maid_Marian

Star Member
May 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/07/2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
Sorry - I totally didn't make myself clear: I know it goes to Mississuaga first, but my point was that my ultimate processing office is London. I didn't express myself very well!! I just know it's not all that common to be applying outland via London while living in Canada, and didn't want people confused! Apologies.

Another question then: if London are willing to mail passport outside of UK, who pays for that? Will we be asked to pay at the time they ask for my passport?

So far with the forms, I've put my UK address as my mailing address and my Canadian address as my current residence (with a note explaining why this is the case), but I might change them if what you guys say is true. Do you have any sites you can direct me to which confirm that London mails outside of UK?

To be honest, I may keep my UK address on there, to speed things up. Our postal delivery in Winnipeg is notoriously iffy! I talk with my parents every other day and they scan over any important documents they receive for me. If I need any letters in hand, they can courier it for me separately.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Hey I did what you are doing. I put all UK addresses on the forms, mailing and current. At the time I wasnt sure I was supposed to be in Canada doing outland. Afterwards I found out its perfectly fine. When you get the PPR it asks for a mailing address, so then I used my current address in Canada.

I got the PPR via email, then posted my passport to London from Canada using Fedex.

It is no extra cost to have it returned here either. They use recorded mail, although mine did take almost 6 weeks to be returned to me.
When you get the PPR it gives you all the info you need in regards to posting. They do post outside of the UK, as other countries use the London office aswell. I had no issues whatsoever.

Good luck with the whole process :)

Maid_Marian

Star Member
May 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/07/2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
PinkLady, THANK YOU!

That's exactly the info I was looking for and it's so good to hear from someone who's been through it and came out the other side.

And looking at your timeline - WOW, they were quick!! I only hope mine goes through that quickly and not the official '9 months'...

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
You're welcome!
Fingers crossed for a speedy process for you. If you have other questions I am happy to help :)
Good luck!

kelly.

Star Member
Apr 18, 2011
Maid_Marian said:
PinkLady, THANK YOU!

That's exactly the info I was looking for and it's so good to hear from someone who's been through it and came out the other side.

And looking at your timeline - WOW, they were quick!! I only hope mine goes through that quickly and not the official '9 months'...
If it helps, mine had complications and still only took 6months for PPR :) I'm currently waiting on my passport being sent to me from London back to Canada where I'm currently on a visitor visa, so I will let you know how long that bit is taking when I get it back.