+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request (where to send passport)?

KHI

May 26, 2017
Hi,

I am a little confused about sending my passport for my study permit application. I applied online and my study permit application was processed at Los Angeles office. Yesterday, I received an e-mail from IRCC to submit passport. It does not clearly say where to send the passport. On the PPR letter, it is stated

"To find out where to send your passport, visit our website: Canada.ca/submit"

When I visit this website, it gives me three options (CPC Ottawa, VAC New York, Los Angeles). However, from this forum, I have learnt that people are asked to send passports to a specific location. I was wondering where I should my passport?

Which center is faster CPC Ottawa, VAC New York, or VAC Los Angeles? I am currently in the USA.

Also, my wife has applied for a visitor visa. We applied together. Should we send passports together in one envelop or in the separate envelopes?

jagdeep22

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
Hi,

I am a little confused about sending my passport for my study permit application. I applied online and my study permit application was processed at Los Angeles office. Yesterday, I received an e-mail from IRCC to submit passport. It does not clearly say where to send the passport. On the PPR letter, it is stated

"To find out where to send your passport, visit our website: Canada.ca/submit"

When I visit this website, it gives me three options (CPC Ottawa, VAC New York, Los Angeles). However, from this forum, I have learnt that people are asked to send passports to a specific location. I was wondering where I should my passport?

Which center is faster CPC Ottawa, VAC New York, or VAC Los Angeles? I am currently in the USA.

Also, my wife has applied for a visitor visa. We applied together. Should we send passports together in one envelop or in the separate envelopes?

CPC Ottawa would be better.

You must use different envelopes.

KHI

May 26, 2017
CPC Ottawa would be better.

You must use different envelopes.
Thanks for your response. Can you please tell me why Ottawa is a better option. Also, is it common to get different options to send passport instead of one? Some people get only one address to send their passports to.

KHI

May 26, 2017
I sent Los Angeles through VAC after talking with VAC rep. Got visa stamped in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: liz tri

piyush_er

Aug 28, 2017
I sent Los Angeles through VAC after talking with VAC rep. Got visa stamped in a couple of weeks.
Why not Ottawa? Is it expensive or slower sending out to Ottawa? Just making sure I understand all the aspects.

And, thank you for your speedy response!

Reactions: liz tri

KHI

May 26, 2017
My study permit was processed at LA office; therefore, I sent it there. NY does not handle study permits. Ottawa, I do not know, I did not check with them.

Dee54.

Mar 21, 2018
My study permit was processed at LA office; therefore, I sent it there. NY does not handle study permits. Ottawa, I do not know, I did not check with them.
After how long did you get your passport back? And how long did it take for them to request your passport?

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hi! Could you tell us a little bit more about your background? Where are you originally from? If not the States, then how long have you been living here?

I’m just curious because I have only read cases where the study permit got denied.. thanks so much and congratulations!!

KHI

May 26, 2017
I have been in the USA since more than 5 years (on a non-immigrant visa). I am originally from Pakistan. It took me about 5 months to get the Canada visa.The rejection base cannot be "Living in the US", should be something else.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
I have been in the USA since more than 5 years (on a non-immigrant visa). I am originally from Pakistan. It took me about 5 months to get the Canada visa.The rejection base cannot be "Living in the US", should be something else.
Wow. What do you mean by your last sentence? You are the first case where I read about someone who got it approved while being an intl. student in the U.S.

KHI

May 26, 2017
I think you interpret it wrong. There are many students who get their visas approved from USA (US citizens or non-residents). Don't overthink it. Just relax.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
I think you interpret it wrong. There are many students who get their visas approved from USA (US citizens or non-residents). Don't overthink it. Just relax.

Ok. Thank you. Were you an undergrad student in the U.S.?

Roopj

Feb 17, 2020
Hi there!
I am a visitor visa. I came to Canada for just holiday and went to USA in November to meet my younger sis then came back to Canada. my uncle suggested me to study here and I received an unconditional letter of acceptance from a college with study period of 2 years. Now I would like to apply for study permit without leaving Canada. I have V-1 visa. What is the possibility?