+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Request (PPR) - Indian & US Citizen Passport confusion.

varunpositive

Aug 25, 2017
Greetings,

I received the request to submit my and my family/dependents passports for confirmation of permanent residence to Ottawa visa office. Now I and my husband both are Indian Citizens working in the United States since last 4 years. Our daughter was born here in the United States and is a US citizen and holds a US passport. From the email instructions, we clearly understand that I have to send my and as well my husband's original passports for confirmation of permanent residence.

The email also, says if you are a US citizen, then you don't need to send the passport, you can just send the photo copy. Now, our case is a mix of both cases.

My query is, should I send my daughter's original passport, along with our passport or should I only send the photo copy of my daughter passport.

Now, If I don't send my daughter's US passport, then what happens if we go to India and from there we go to Canada and board the Canada fight. Me and my husband passport will have the Canada confirmation of permanent residence visa stamp, but on my daughter's passport, there won't be any stamp. Will the Airport officials allow a US Citizen to board a Canadian flight without a Canadian Visa from India. I am confused here. Thanks for any help.

Regards,

cowbeepbeep

Aug 23, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-09-2017
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-11-2017
Greetings,

I received the request to submit my and my family/dependents passports for confirmation of permanent residence to Ottawa visa office. Now I and my husband both are Indian Citizens working in the United States since last 4 years. Our daughter was born here in the United States and is a US citizen and holds a US passport. From the email instructions, we clearly understand that I have to send my and as well my husband's original passports for confirmation of permanent residence.

The email also, says if you are a US citizen, then you don't need to send the passport, you can just send the photo copy. Now, our case is a mix of both cases.

My query is, should I send my daughter's original passport, along with our passport or should I only send the photo copy of my daughter passport.

Now, If I don't send my daughter's US passport, then what happens if we go to India and from there we go to Canada and board the Canada fight. Me and my husband passport will have the Canada confirmation of permanent residence visa stamp, but on my daughter's passport, there won't be any stamp. Will the Airport officials allow a US Citizen to board a Canadian flight without a Canadian Visa from India. I am confused here. Thanks for any help.

Regards,
I would follow the instructions individually as described in the e-mail. It seems like you should send the original Indian passports and a photocopy of the US passport.

As for boarding a flight from India direct to Canada with a US passport, there shouldn't be a problem as US citizens don't require a visa to enter Canada. You could always check ahead of time with the airport to confirm.

Reactions: KangarooFromTheWest

shan1234

Star Member
Mar 31, 2017
Greetings,

Regards,
Hi Varun, I am in same boat like you. Do you find what is the correct way of doing it?

jaskigill

May 18, 2018
Hi, I'm in a similar situation. What did you guys send eventually? Just the photocopy of your child's (US citizen) passport?

rajakaali

Dec 6, 2017
Hi, I'm in a similar situation. What did you guys send eventually? Just the photocopy of your child's (US citizen) passport?
Just send a photocopy of the biographical information page of the US passport. No need to send the passport.

jaskigill

May 18, 2018
Thanks for a quick reply! I sent the photocopy of my daughter's passport. Waiting for the stamped passports and CoPR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just be aware that eventually you may decide to relinquish the US passport for tax reasons depending on where your child decides to settle.

anumantra

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
Thanks for a quick reply! I sent the photocopy of my daughter's passport. Waiting for the stamped passports and CoPR.
Did you land in canada yet? How will your child get the PR card. And does he get the ETA authorization to fly and land in canada or we have to get it online seperately?

jaskigill

May 18, 2018
I plan to go to Canada for landing in August. You will need to send your passports and a photocopy of your child's (US citizen) passport. You will receive 3 CoPR documents (required for landing) for each one of you. Your passports will be stamped with visa for entry on PR. Since US citizens do not need a visa to visit US, you don't need to send your child's passport.

Reactions: anumantra

anumantra

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
I plan to go to Canada for landing in August. You will need to send your passports and a photocopy of your child's (US citizen) passport. You will receive 3 CoPR documents (required for landing) for each one of you. Your passports will be stamped with visa for entry on PR. Since US citizens do not need a visa to visit US, you don't need to send your child's passport.
THanks a lot. I've already sent the documents the way you have explained. Waiting for the COPR now.

Joy2020

Sep 6, 2020
Hello.. My spouse and I carry Indian passports, however our child carries a US passport (currently Expired). Due to COVID, we are not in a position to renew the US passport. Can we proceed with the expired US passport for now? When would we need to update details on the renewed US passport?