passport request for visa exempt countries

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear all, i am a singaporean and was asked to submit my passport in my ppr email although i am from a visa exempt country.

just wondering if anyone has encountered something similar? and what is the purpose?

thank you!

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)
dear all, i am a singaporean and was asked to submit my passport in my ppr email although i am from a visa exempt country.

just wondering if anyone has encountered something similar? and what is the purpose?

thank you!
There is an existing thread relevant to your ques:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ppr-does-visa-exempt-passport-holder-need-to-send-physical-passport-or-just-scanned-copy.500102/#post-6210639

Hope it helps.

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
Did you enter Canada before, e.g on a work permit or student visa?
You may wish to raise a CSE or contact IRCC for clarification.
Might be an error on their side after the recent system upgrade.
Maybe someone from a visa exempt country could shed further insight.

ILoveBritishColumbia

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-4-2017
AOR Received.
28-4-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-4-2017
Passport Req..
24-07-2017

thank you!
Can you please clarify what is the wording they are using to ask you to submit your passport? My PPR email doesn't actually specify whether to submit the passport or not, it states that you as the applicant need to determine whether it is necessary to send the passport based on whether you live in a visa-exempt country:

STEP 2: DETERMINE IF YOU NEED TO SUBMIT YOUR PASSPORT(S)

· Determine if you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada, by checking this website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp.

· If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada, you will need to submit the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months and have at least two blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per accompanying child. Please note that you STILL need to submit the passport even if:

o You have a valid Canadian temporary residence visa.

o You are a permanent resident of the U.S.A AND holder of passport from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada.
· If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need an eTA to travel to Canada or a holder of passport(s) from the United States, you will need to submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Please do not send your original passport(s). Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months.

According to these instructions, if you are from a visa-exempt country you are asked to send only photocopies of your passport. So, I'm wondering if you got a different sort of message?

Last edited:

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you please clarify what is the wording they are using to ask you to submit your passport? My PPR email doesn't actually specify whether to submit the passport or not, it states that you as the applicant need to determine whether it is necessary to send the passport based on whether you live in a visa-exempt country:

STEP 2: DETERMINE IF YOU NEED TO SUBMIT YOUR PASSPORT(S)

· Determine if you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada, by checking this website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp.

· If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada, you will need to submit the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months and have at least two blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per accompanying child. Please note that you STILL need to submit the passport even if:

o You have a valid Canadian temporary residence visa.

o You are a permanent resident of the U.S.A AND holder of passport from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada.
· If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need an eTA to travel to Canada or a holder of passport(s) from the United States, you will need to submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Please do not send your original passport(s). Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months.

According to these instructions, if you are from a visa-exempt country you are asked to send only photocopies of your passport. So, I'm wondering if you got a different sort of message?
hi! yes mine does not give an option:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. The processing of your application is almost complete. Before a permanent resident visa can be issued to you (and your accompanying family members, if applicable), you will need to follow the steps below.

Note: This letter is not a guarantee that a visa will be issued to you.

þ Please submit two (2) passport-sized photos taken within the last six (6) months of you and each of your accompanying family members. Information regarding photo specifications for Permanent Residents can be found here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf

***Please note that our photo specifications have recently changed. Please review the information in this guide for the most up-to-date specifications.***

Please do not staple the photos. Enclose the photos of each person in a separate envelope. On each envelope, write your application number and the name of the person whose photos are enclosed. Submit the photos in the same package as the passport(s).

þ Please submit original passports for:

1. You;

2. Your spouse/common-law partner (if applicable); and

3. All dependent children who will accompany you to Canada (if applicable).

See Appendix A for instructions on how to submit your passport(s) and photos.

Before you submit your passport(s):

o Check that there are at least two (2) blank pages in each passport.

o Check that you have ordinary passports. Permanent resident visas for Canada cannot be issued in Diplomatic or Official passports.

o Check the expiry date of all passports. Passports should be valid for at least twelve (12) months.

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you enter Canada before, e.g on a work permit or student visa?
You may wish to raise a CSE or contact IRCC for clarification.
Might be an error on their side after the recent system upgrade.
Maybe someone from a visa exempt country could shed further insight.
no have only entered on eTA before. might be because of the visa office as the rest of the countries doesn't seem to be visa exempt. anyway will prob raise CSE to clarify but will still submit my passport. there's a few of us who got the ppr mail and we were all requested to submit passport. it's just a little inconvenient and waste of money to VFS.. and they did mention they will take up to a month to process.

ILoveBritishColumbia

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-4-2017
AOR Received.
28-4-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-4-2017
Passport Req..
24-07-2017

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. The processing of your application is almost complete. Before a permanent resident visa can be issued to you (and your accompanying family members, if applicable), you will need to follow the steps below.

þ Please submit two (2) passport-sized photos taken within the last six (6) months of you and each of your accompanying family members. Information regarding photo specifications for Permanent Residents can be found here:

***Please note that our photo specifications have recently changed. Please review the information in this guide for the most up-to-date specifications.***

Please do not staple the photos. Enclose the photos of each person in a separate envelope. On each envelope, write your application number and the name of the person whose photos are enclosed. Submit the photos in the same package as the passport(s).

1. You;

o Check that you have ordinary passports. Permanent resident visas for Canada cannot be issued in Diplomatic or Official passports.

o Check the expiry date of all passports. Passports should be valid for at least twelve (12) months.
That's a very different letter from the one I got! Makes me think that maybe they have different letters for different situations... especially since the letter I got also includes countries that are not visa-exempt. Was there anything else about your application/situation that was unusual?

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

1. You;

Did you receive the email from Ottawa or a local Canadian consulate?

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you receive the email from Ottawa or a local Canadian consulate?
this is the sender:
CPCO-FinalRequest / CTDO-DemandeFinale (CIC) <IRCC.CPCO-FinalRequest-CTDO-DemandeFinale.IRCC@cic.gc.ca>

seems like ottawa?

yuanteo

Star Member
Sep 25, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's a very different letter from the one I got! Makes me think that maybe they have different letters for different situations... especially since the letter I got also includes countries that are not visa-exempt. Was there anything else about your application/situation that was unusual?
yes! otherwise it could be because of the visa office.

thecalmestsea

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2017
I checked with the Visa Office in SG. They said that all passports are requested for PR Visa.

That said, 8am is definitely the best time to go - no queue and done in 10 mins!

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
I checked with the Visa Office in SG. They said that all passports are requested for PR Visa.

That said, 8am is definitely the best time to go - no queue and done in 10 mins!
I don't think that walk-in visa stamping is offered at Canadian High Commission, Singapore?.
Could you share the source of the info you provided.

thecalmestsea

Star Member
Jan 19, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
25-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2017
I don't think that walk-in visa stamping is offered at Canadian High Commission, Singapore?.
Could you share the source of the info you provided.
It's just for passport submission (it'll still take up to a month to get your passport back) but at VFS in Singapore, they only have 2 counters for Canada, so it can be quite a long wait.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

spth38

Jan 11, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2017
Doc's Request.
19-06-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
08-06-2017
Passport Req..
30-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2017
LANDED..........
19-10-2017
It's just for passport submission (it'll still take up to a month to get your passport back) but at VFS in Singapore, they only have 2 counters for Canada, so it can be quite a long wait.

Edit: typo
Hi @thecalmestsea,

I got the same letter as you did! I'm from Hong Kong but living in Thailand so I was asking to send all passports to SGVO via CVAC. May I know how long it took you to get your passport stamped? Thanks!!