+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request for newborn born in US?

Bumpkin

Nov 30, 2017
Hi all,
I am a US citizen applying for permanent residence through my Canadian husband. I received the passport request letter yesterday. Within it was a request to update any information of life changes through the webform. We had a baby in October so I let CIC know of our son's birth on the webform after receiving the letter yesterday. He was born in the US, but is eligible for Canadian citizenship through my husband. We had planned to apply for his Certificate of Citizenship once we have all his paperwork in order. My question is, do I have to fill out any additional paperwork about the baby for my application for permanent residence or send in any proof if he is already eligible for Canadian Citizenship on his own? Or do I just continue as normal (sending in a photocopy of my passport as requested) after informing them of his birth? Do they want a photocopy of his birth cert or a US passport for him sent in with my passport? Help! Thanks!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,
I am a US citizen applying for permanent residence through my Canadian husband. I received the passport request letter yesterday. Within it was a request to update any information of life changes through the webform. We had a baby in October so I let CIC know of our son's birth on the webform after receiving the letter yesterday. He was born in the US, but is eligible for Canadian citizenship through my husband. We had planned to apply for his Certificate of Citizenship once we have all his paperwork in order. My question is, do I have to fill out any additional paperwork about the baby for my application for permanent residence or send in any proof if he is already eligible for Canadian Citizenship on his own? Or do I just continue as normal (sending in a photocopy of my passport as requested) after informing them of his birth? Do they want a photocopy of his birth cert or a US passport for him sent in with my passport? Help! Thanks!!
Hi

Your child is already Canadian. Include a copy of his birth certificate and explain that you are applying for his Certificate of Citizenship. You don't need to include a copy of his US passport.

It can take 6 months to get the Certificate of Citizenship; if you are coming to Canada before then, you won't have any actual proof of your child's Canadian citizenship, which may cause issues for things like provincial health coverage. For children under the age of 2, there is an option to apply concurrently for a limited validity Canadian passport, which can be issued in a matter of days.