+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request for COPR if already have a Canada tourist visa?

destornillador

May 22, 2018
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
I'm a citizen of India, currently living in the US and I hold a Canadian tourist visa valid till July, 2025. I have submitted my express entry application, and am awaiting a decision. I wanted to know if I'm approved for the COPR, will I have to send my passport to Canada to get the PR visa stamp for landing, even if I have a valid tourist visa to enter Canada? or I can just do the "landing" on a tourist visa, without sending my passport?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm a citizen of India, currently living in the US and I hold a Canadian tourist visa valid till July, 2025. I have submitted my express entry application, and am awaiting a decision. I wanted to know if I'm approved for the COPR, will I have to send my passport to Canada to get the PR visa stamp for landing, even if I have a valid tourist visa to enter Canada? or I can just do the "landing" on a tourist visa, without sending my passport?
No. You'll have to send your passport.

destornillador

May 22, 2018
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
No. You'll have to send your passport.
So I don't understand how someone who does not ordinarily need a visa, like a Belgian national, need not get this visa stamped? I thought the whole purpose of the PR visa is so that you are able to fly into Canada, the very first time, without any immigration issues from the airline.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I don't understand how someone who does not ordinarily need a visa, like a Belgian national, need not get this visa stamped? I thought the whole purpose of the PR visa is so that you are able to fly into Canada, the very first time, without any immigration issues from the airline.
Because they are from visa exempt countries, getting their passport stamped would be redundant.

PS: I'm from a visa exempt country.

destornillador

May 22, 2018
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
Case in point. So if I have a valid tourist visa to enter Canada, wouldn't getting another visa to enter Canada be redundant?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know what the big issue is here, if you don't want to send your passport then don't, send a photocopy of it and see if there are any issues with getting your COPR.

destornillador

May 22, 2018
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
I don't know what the big issue is here, if you don't want to send your passport then don't, send a photocopy of it and see if there are any issues with getting your COPR.
I don't have any issue, I was just curious; so that I can plan my travel to Canada based on whether I need to send my passport or not. Thank you for your input.