+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request and the final steps; question!!!

Discussion in 'Canadian Experience Class' started by nullall, Oct 4, 2012.

  1. Hello,

    I have just received an email requesting my passport and the payment for the permanent residence fee.

    My question is as follows:
    I am already currently residing in Canada and therefore am confused about how exactly will I receive my Permanent Resident status, since I am not planning to exit and reenter Canada in the next while. The reason this concerns me is that the only information I find describing what happens after your pr is granted is with respect to people meeting an immigration officer AT THE BORDER and since I am not leaving Canada, I will not be at any border location, so I dont quite understand how will they give me the residence.

    Will they send me my PR-card to my current canadian address? and also since I am from one of the countries that is EXEMPT from visa requirements I do not need to send in my passport only a copy of it as per their letter. So I really do not understand in what form will they give me any proof of PR without either a stamp on my passport or a card sent to me.

    Any help and info on this is appreciated!

  2. Hi

    1. Well you have to "land" you can either go to the border and flagpole or you can make an appointment at an inland office (6-8 weeks if you can find an open one) by call in the call centre.
    2. CIC won't send the PR card until you "land"
    3. Read the email. Does it say send the passport or send copies of every page. Then you follow the instructions. FSW applications processed under CAIPs and not transferred to GCMS have to submit their passport.
  3. THank you very much for the info PMM!

    I am surprised I have not seen information on cic.gc.ca page under canadian experience class immigration about "landing" in any of their descriptions including "what happens after applying" or how to obtain the pr card, etc... and their letter only says the following:

    "Visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5688) Validity

    The issuance of your visa(s) cannot be delayed so it is important for you to submit your passport(s) and pay the RPRF as soon as possible, if you have not already done so. An expiration date (dd/mm/yy) will be indicated on your visa and/or on your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR – IMM 5688), and you must obtain permanent residence on or before that date. The visas and CoPR cannot be extended. If you are not prepared to live permanently in Canada immediately after your permanent residence is granted, please consult the CIC website regarding your obligations to retain your status in Canada.

    If you are a citizen of a country that is required to obtain a visa to visit Canada, you are required to submit your original passport and the original passport of any accompanying family member. If you are a citizen from a country that is exempted to obtain a visa to visit Canada under Regulation 190 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, you are only required to send a copy of your passport and of the passport of any accompanying family member."

    So, since I am exempt from visitors visa I wont have to send in my passport only a copy, fine; so Do they mean that Confirmation of Permanent Residence wont be "stamped" into my passport, but will be sent to me to my current canadian address in the form of a "document" (not the pr card)? and once I obtain this document, then I make an appointment as per you indicated with the call centre for "landing" etc...?

    thanks again for your help!
  4. Just follow the instructions on the letter. The confirmation of permanent residence document and 1 photo(I think) will be mailed to your address along with instructions about 'landing' - doing it inland at a local CIC office or at the border and what to bring with you. The PR card will be mailed after you 'land'.

    Note that in extenuating circumstances(e.g. immigrant visa will expire soon, nearest border to far, etc), the call centre staff can submit an urgent request on your behalf. This is what happened in my case and I had an appointment in 1 week and 'landed'.

  5. Hello nullall,

    Could I please know when you applied for your PR? and did you get the passport request from Seattle, Detroit or Ottawa. Would kindly appreciate your feedback

    Thank you
  6. I applied in 2012 february and got the ppr from Detroit.

Share This Page