+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request and Medical - Question!

charloux

Apr 6, 2010
Hello all!
So, today my husband got a letter in the mail from CIC requesting his passport. It stated " We are now ready to issue your immigration visa. In order to complete the process, we need your passport". Additionally, the officer crossed out "You must submit your passport within 60 days from the date of this letter", and replaced it with "as soon as possible as your medical expires on October 14, 2010".

The letter never said anything about waiving his interview, but did it have to? It looks as if the last step is just for us to send in the passport! Is this correct? ::) If so, I am super happy because we have been waiting almost a year now :D

Another question I have is about the medical. If they issue the visa before the medical expires, can he depart Canada after the medical expires? Or does he have to enter Canada BEFORE the medical expires, even if he has a PR visa? My husband and I were planning a trip to Bali (he is from Indonesia) in October.. as we didn't think the Visa would come before then...

What do you guys think.. or know??

Thanks in advance

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
There is no interview process for you.
He needs to land before medical expires.
Send in the passport immediately.
Once he lands, and he gets his PR card (a few weeks after) he can go on the holiday with you.

charloux

Apr 6, 2010
Just out of curiousity, how do they know (on landing) that his medical has expired?

Thanks for the info! Very direct and to the point :)

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
ON his passport will have the date he has to land by. (This is what I am told).

B

boyee6576

do they send the request for PPR and if need be, new medical at the same time?

charloux

Apr 6, 2010
No, they never did. But we were wondering if it would be possible to send in a new medical with his passport (so his leave could be extended). Obviously we have been waiting ages to get back to Canada, but my parents had planned to meet us in Bali in October.. on the 15th (just so happens to be the day after his medical expires:S).

ps. I am with my husband right now

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
They are requesting his passport because they are ready to issue the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) which shows that he is approved for permanent residence. Normally they will give the applicant 60 days to send the passport, but because your husband's medical is due to expire in October, they want him to hurry so they can issue the COPR with enough time left for him to travel to a Canadian port of entry and "land" to finalize his PR. The COPR will be issued with an expiration date that coincides with the expiration of the medical - and he has to land before the COPR expires or he has to go through a whole new application process again. If he wants to extend the validity of the COPR, he'll have to arrange with them to request that he gets a new medical done and that will extend him for another year.

I wouldn't suggest that, though. I see the issue you face - because you're apparently with him in his country and it would probably be inconvenient and expensive to travel to Canada at this point, and then on to Bali. But CIC really doesn't care about that. Assuming that you are in the same country where the embassy is, see if it's possible to travel to the embassy and turn in his passport in person. Some embassies have this service available where you can submit the passport early in the morning and have it back with the COPR attached by the afternoon. Otherwise, overnight it to them so he gets it back as soon as possible. Then you've got to arrange to get to a Canadian port-of-entry, before October 14, 2010, so he can land. He does not have to be ready to stay in Canada at that point.

Maybe you could arrange to fly to Canada prior to the trip to Bali so he can get landed - then meet up with your parents in Canada and go on to Bali from there? Sometimes timing is the biggest issue in these matters - I remember once a lady wrote because her PR came through while she was on some work expedition in some impossible way-back-country-wilderness somewhere. She could not get away without huge implications but they had, literally, given her notice that they were ready to issue her COPR only weeks before her medical was due to expire. She was, understandably, quite upset. I don't know what ever happened with her - she was about ready just to chuck the whole idea of Canadian PR, she was so frustrated. But you have time to work this out - if it were me, I'd do whatever it took not to delay things any longer . . . which is what a request for a new medical will accomplish. But it's up to you guys.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
He's going to get his PR visa with no interview - congratulations!
I suggest you send him to Canada to land before October 14th, and then have him come back to Indonesia for the Bali trip if you still really want to do this trip. You don't have to go with him to land.
Trying to extend his deadline with another medical sounds a bit risky to me. Certainly it will take the visa staff a while to decide to do it or not.

charloux

Apr 6, 2010
Thank you so much for your responses. I think you have helped solidify the decision that he lands before October 14th, so he doesn't create anymore issues with trying to extend the medical with a new one. I expected that trying to extend the medical may have its complications, however to be honest, after waiting a year for this Visa, I am so happy that he got it, that I actually don't really care what we have to do. It is too bad we can't vacation with my parents, but as they said, "you need to do what you have to do".

Once again, I really appreciate your thorough explanations.
Best of luck to everyone with their applications as well!