+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewing while application has been approved

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
Hi guys,

(I've searched the forum, but I really don't see a similar case like mine, so I have to ask...:()
I got an ghost update the other day and I called CIC today and was told that my application has been approved, but it will take some time for the PPR to arrive.

My situation is, I renewed my passport 2 weeks ago (expiring in 7-8 months) and am still waiting for it to arrive (should arrive in about 10 days).

My question is, if I get my new passport before PPR arrives:
1. Should I raise CSE to upload my new passport? I know usually you should do this when waiting for PPR, but my situation is that I know my application has been approved, I'm worried that if I raise CSE and upload my new passport, it will cause some trouble/further delay
2. Or should I just do nothing and wait for PPR to arrive, and then submit both the old and new passports for stamping?

Any thoughts? Thank you very much!

Last edited:

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
Hi guys,

(I've searched the forum, but I really don't see a similar case like mine, so I have to ask...:()
I got an ghost update the other day and I called CIC today and was told that my application has been approved, but it will take some time for the PPR to arrive.

My situation is, I renewed my passport 2 weeks ago and am still waiting for it to arrive (should arrive in about 10 days).

My question is, if I get my new passport before PPR arrives:
1. Should I raise CSE to upload my new passport? I know usually you should do this when waiting for PPR, but my situation is that I know my application has been approved, I'm worried that if I raise CSE and upload my new passport, it will cause some trouble/further delay
2. Or should I just do nothing and wait for PPR to arrive, and then submit both the old and new passports for stamping?

Any thoughts? Thank you very much!
They are very clear that your passport should be valid for atleast six months while applying ! Did you not follow this ? If you did and their process has taken longer, then you should immediately inform them that you have applied for a new passport and awaiting it and to send PPR accordingly (new passport number).

They are also very clear that the visa they stamp will be valid only till the passport expires. I don't see any benefit in holding the new passport info from them.

You have not shared the circumstances that forced you to apply for a new passport, hence have made some assumptions while replying.

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
They are very clear that your passport should be valid for atleast six months while applying ! Did you not follow this ? If you did and their process has taken longer, then you should immediately inform them that you have applied for a new passport and awaiting it and to send PPR accordingly (new passport number).

They are also very clear that the visa they stamp will be valid only till the passport expires. I don't see any benefit in holding the new passport info from them.

You have not shared the circumstances that forced you to apply for a new passport, hence have made some assumptions while replying.
Thank you. When I renewed it, it will expire in about 7 months. And I cannot inform CIC about it because I have not received my passport yet. I know I should inform them immediately when I get my passport back, but my application has been approved (as I was told by CIC agent) and I worry if I upload new document at this point it can cause trouble.

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
Thank you. When I renewed it, it will expire in about 7 months. And I cannot inform CIC about it because I have not received my passport yet. I know I should inform them immediately when I get my passport back, but my application has been approved (as I was told by CIC agent) and I worry if I upload new document at this point it can cause trouble.
If they issue the PPR for the old passport then you will need to submit the old passport which will not be valid since you have a new passport.

IMO tell them that you have applied for a new passport as it is expiring before their process ends and you would like the PPR to be issued for your new passport number ABCXZY, and would like to update your records with the new passport number. GL

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
If they issue the PPR for the old passport then you will need to submit the old passport which will not be valid since you have a new passport.

IMO tell them that you have applied for a new passport as it is expiring before their process ends and you would like the PPR to be issued for your new passport number ABCXZY, and would like to update your records with the new passport number. GL
If you have not received your new passport ALSO tell them that you have applied for a new one and awaiting it's receipt.

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
should I let them know by raising CSE? now?...
imo you should tell them that "since my passport is expiring in x months on yyyy-mm-dd, i have applied to renew it and will send the new passport details immediately on receiving it. kindly advice on any action I will need to take in this regard."

Reactions: mqc1986

Arod

May 15, 2017
I raised a CSE with the new passport information and a couple of weeks later they informed me that they had forwarded it to the VO where my application is being processed.