+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Hi
I nedd to renew my passport for getting US visa, because my passport will expire in 6 months. Meanwhile, I am waiting for PR approval soon. How should I inform CIC about that? How this would affect my PR appliation?
Thanks

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
Hi
I nedd to renew my passport for getting US visa, because my passport will expire in 6 months. Meanwhile, I am waiting for PR approval soon. How should I inform CIC about that? How this would affect my PR appliation?
Thanks
Please renew your passport. Once done, please submit a webform request to CIC along with copy of new passport so that they update your application.
How it impacts your application cannot be definitely answered but I think it should not cause any delays.

Reactions: niko80

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
OK, thanks. Can I also call cic and ask them to change passport number?
Another question: if I would get 6 month visa for PR in my old passport, then renew my passport and keep old one, would it be OK in the border when I will enter Canada with both passports?

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
Another question: if I would get 6 month visa for PR in my old passport, then renew my passport and keep old one, would it be OK in the border when I will enter Canada with both passports?
Once you update your passport info, they will provide you visa in renewed passport. And validity will be along y with medical validity end date.
Old passport will be cancelled.

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
I mean if I will get PR visa in my old passport (to avoid any possible delays), then renew my passport (for getting US visa) and keep my old passport as well. Then to enter Canada with both passports. Old passport will be canceled but PR visa will be valid.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
OK, thanks. Can I also call cic and ask them to change passport number?
I doubt anyone will accept a phone call to change a passport number without seeing a copy of the passport bio page with the new passport number. Ask yourself would you action such a request on the phone from a total stranger ? Would you be happy that an agent took that action on your application ?

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
I doubt anyone will accept a phone call to change a passport number without seeing a copy of the passport bio page with the new passport number. Ask yourself would you action such a request on the phone from a total stranger ? Would you be happy that an agent took that action on your application ?
Agreed

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
I mean if I will get PR visa in my old passport (to avoid any possible delays), then renew my passport (for getting US visa) and keep my old passport as well. Then to enter Canada with both passports. Old passport will be canceled but PR visa will be valid.
In that case, yes.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf
13.18 Valid visas in expired passports

Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered valid.

Reactions: niko80