+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal

Allen0412

Jul 25, 2019
Hi can you help me. I already apply for renewal of passport in calgary. With that new application is i used my husband last name. And i want to cancel it and make again as my maiden name. I think it is not proccessed yetbecause the release date is october 28. i thought that if i want to sponsor my husband. I need to change all my ids. Because someone said it to me. And if it is too late now to change is it okay that my passport that i renew is my husband surname and my pr that i used is maiden name?

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I'm a bit lost in your question, but no, you do not have to change all your IDs to sponsor your husband. It's OK to have your PR in your maiden name and your passport in your married name.

Allen0412

Jul 25, 2019
I'm a bit lost in your question, but no, you do not have to change all your IDs to sponsor your husband. It's OK to have your PR in your maiden name and your passport in your married name.
What if i go outside canada? And notice the immigration that my pr card and passport that its different name. Maybe they will block me or hold my flight?? Possible??

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you have already changed your name in your passport, you should apply for a legal name change in your province to make sure your documents are matching. If you don't, this will cause issues in the future. .

You are correct in thinking that all immigration related documents (passport, PR card) should be the same when you travel.

I thought you had got a PR before you got married and were asking if it was mandatory to change your name to sponsor your husband. That is not the case - you do not have to change your name.

The name change process will involve you surrendering your current PR card and then getting a new card with the new name.