+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal

mike.1980

Sep 19, 2012
Hello All,

I received my PR card and now I came to my country for a month to visit my family; my passport is almost valid for 8 months; I'd like to know if I can change(renew) my passport here in my home country? I mean is my PR card bound to my current Passport? or not? I checked my PR card and no where on my PR card the passport number was mentioned; so I assume that my PR card and my current passport are not dependent together, am I right?

Your help is appreciated.

mike.1980

Sep 19, 2012
I really appreciate your help; if I know that renewing (changing) passport is no problem , I can do it while I'm in my country.

Thanks

coshx

May 8, 2013
mike.1980 said:
Hello All,

I received my PR card and now I came to my country for a month to visit my family; my passport is almost valid for 8 months; I'd like to know if I can change(renew) my passport here in my home country? I mean is my PR card bound to my current Passport? or not? I checked my PR card and no where on my PR card the passport number was mentioned; so I assume that my PR card and my current passport are not dependent together, am I right?

Your help is appreciated.
Go ahead and re-new your passport. Your passport is not bound to your PR card. Since you have your PR card, that is the most important thing. The PR card replaces the need to have a visa when entering Canada.
When I wanted to do my landing, my passport had 5 months to expire. I went back home and renewed my passport. When I landed, I showed them the old passport with the PR visa as well as my new passport. They stamped the old passport & gave me back my passports.
Even when you renew your passport, always attach the old passport to the new one. it is advisable to do that.
Hope this helps!
Cheers!