+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Renewal Before Entering Canada

Sheikh_18

May 1, 2023
Hi everyone, I got my study visa a few days back. Unfortunately, my passport and study visa expiry is well before the end of my program. I was thinking of renewing my passport before I go to Canada. I've heard that the only way to extend a study permit is inside Canada, so once I go there then I'll extend my study permit. I just wanted to know whether getting a new passport will cause any problems when I am travelling to Canada.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi everyone, I got my study visa a few days back. Unfortunately, my passport and study visa expiry is well before the end of my program. I was thinking of renewing my passport before I go to Canada. I've heard that the only way to extend a study permit is inside Canada, so once I go there then I'll extend my study permit. I just wanted to know whether getting a new passport will cause any problems when I am travelling to Canada.
No problem, make sure you are carrying the old passport with you because it will have your visa in it.

Sheikh_18

May 1, 2023
Thanks for the reply. Can someone clear up whether the visa officer will ask anything about the passports, and if so what do I say?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thanks for the reply. Can someone clear up whether the visa officer will ask anything about the passports, and if so what do I say?
Tell the truth. You were able to renew your pp before you left your home country which is easier than doing it in Canada and you plan to extend your study permit in Canada. Shouldn't be any questions.

Sheikh_18

May 1, 2023
No no never had the intention to lie. However if there was a chance being refused at the port of entry, then I wouldn't get a new passport at all

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
No no never had the intention to lie. However if there was a chance being refused at the port of entry, then I wouldn't get a new passport at all
Passports get renewed all the time, for every country. Border and immigration agents are well aware of this. People have been travelling with their old passports which contains their approved visas. Also, afaik, you cannot travel with an old passport with less than 6 months validity. So, naturally, people would renew their passport before they breach the last six months of their passport validity.

Apr 15, 2023
I have received my study permit and visitor visa from India in May 2023. My passport and Visa has my name as "SAIKARTHIK". I have applied for reissue of my passport as it is going to expire before my studies and My new passport issued in June 2023 has my name as " SAI KARTHIK" which is actually correct as per my educational documents.

Does this small space in my name can cause problems at border? Please help