+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal after receiving CoPR

amitgupta1609

Jul 24, 2019
Hi All, Requesting your suggestions and guidance.

We are currently in US and awaiting passports back from CIC after getting CoPR.

Me and my wife's passports are valid until Mar next year.

Please suggest if we can renew our passports before going to Canada. (Carry both old passport with CoPR and new passports). We would be returning back to US from Canada immediately after 1-2 days.

Due to unavoidable circumstances our employer wants us to get our passports renewed as soon as possible and get i94 updated.

If we do this we will be able to make trip to Canada and get i94 updated while returning back in one shot.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
You can renew your passports. When you do your landing you will need to carry your old passport (which has the visa) along with your new passport. Nothing to worry about.

amittan

Feb 4, 2018
You can renew your passports. When you do your landing you will need to carry your old passport (which has the visa) along with your new passport. Nothing to worry about.
Thank you for your response. Is this your personal experience ? I also believe that this should not be an issue. However I have read at other places that people are sending their new passport for COPR update and visa transfer. If you can let me know the basis for your response I will greatly appreciate.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Thank you for your response. Is this your personal experience ? I also believe that this should not be an issue. However I have read at other places that people are sending their new passport for COPR update and visa transfer. If you can let me know the basis for your response I will greatly appreciate.
Not my personal experience, though, but telling you from the numerous experiences I have read and seen. As long as you have the old passport that establishes your identity, you are fine! Your new passport always contains the old the passport number.

Though, not an immigration visa, my mom has a B1/B2 American visa, stamped on an expired passport, while the visa is still valid, she has never been denied entry and has to carry both the passports [the new one as well as the expired one with the visa].

But, if you still have doubts, go ahead and get your COPR updated with new passports, but that will take time [passport renewal plus updation]!

As a second thought, while you are in the US [not far from Canada], why don't you do a soft landing, confirm your PR, visit Canada for few days, spend some $$, do some shopping, smuggle some Maple Syrup (yum!) and then come back to US and then renew your passports, in this case, you got yourself a vacation, confirmed PR and a new passport on return!

amittan

Feb 4, 2018
Not my personal experience, though, but telling you from the numerous experiences I have read and seen. As long as you have the old passport that establishes your identity, you are fine! Your new passport always contains the old the passport number.

Though, not an immigration visa, my mom has a B1/B2 American visa, stamped on an expired passport, while the visa is still valid, she has never been denied entry and has to carry both the passports [the new one as well as the expired one with the visa].

But, if you still have doubts, go ahead and get your COPR updated with new passports, but that will take time [passport renewal plus updation]!

As a second thought, while you are in the US [not far from Canada], why don't you do a soft landing, confirm your PR, visit Canada for few days, spend some $$, do some shopping, smuggle some Maple Syrup (yum!) and then come back to US and then renew your passports, in this case, you got yourself a vacation, confirmed PR and a new passport on return!
Thank you so much for your response. Probably I will go with your suggestion.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thank you so much for your response. Probably I will go with your suggestion.
Check other threads on this forum for conflicting info on this matter. This is not a question of Visa validity on expired passport but to update ircc with info on new passport. Some official sources have asked to resubmit new passport in such cases

In case you still do go ahead, please update here with your experience, so that we know.