+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal after getting express entry invite amd before application submissions

Bhamarekm

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Hi,

I have been doing a little bit of research through the forum but couldn't find any topic that could help me.

Here is my problem
I recently got my invitation for PR in express entry. I have 90 days to submit documents and i have not yet started PCC or any other process. I am on wp. My passport and wp will expire in nov 2017.

I don't know if I am suppose to renew the passport it before getting my pr card

So these are my questions:

1. Am I able to renew my passport in the middle of the process ? I mean after getting invitation and before submitting documents
2. Weather i should submit all documents and then renew passport? Or shall i apply for new passport first and then submit documents.
3. Do i need to provide any additional information to cic bcoz my passport details will be different in application to get selected for pr and in application which i will be submitting for pr.
4. Will I have any issues with the expiring date or whatever stands out as a difference between the old one and the new one ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marty_

Sep 10, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
Passport Req..
05-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-06-2017
LANDED..........
I feel you should renew your passport as it must be valid for 6 Months or more for PPR

1. Yes you can. ( provided you can get the new one before 90 days)
You can upload both your old passport and new one in the "passport/travel doc section"

2. Apply for new passport first

3. You can still make changes to your application post your ITA.
Mention in your Letter of explanation that you have renewed your passport as it is expiring in Nov 2017 but attaching old passport for reference and travel visa stamps.

4. If you do not renew it then IRCC will ask you for new valid passport before issuing COPR

Bhamarekm

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Hi Marty,

Thanks for your inputs.

Agree with you, I will go with passport renewal first.

Regards,
Kiran

I feel you should renew your passport as it must be valid for 6 Months or more for PPR

You can upload both your old passport and new one in the "passport/travel doc section"

Mention in your Letter of explanation that you have renewed your passport as it is expiring in Nov 2017 but attaching old passport for reference and travel visa stamps.

4. If you do not renew it then IRCC will ask you for new valid passport before issuing COPR

mehulkh

May 25, 2017
Hi

Hi Marty,

I am facing similar concern. Would appreciate if you could provide guidance on my questions below:
1. Is it mandatory to have your spouse name endorsed on the passport to apply as a couple for express entry. We have official marriage certificate.
2. As part of spouse endorsement, our embassy would issue a new passport (with new number). Can we update this information at any stage of the application (pre or post ITA)?
3. Is there any official link on cic website or any other official cic statement regarding the above? I was not able to source any information on the cic website clearly.

Thanks in advance,
Mehul

Marty_

Sep 10, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
Passport Req..
05-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-06-2017
LANDED..........
Hi

Hi Marty,

I am facing similar concern. Would appreciate if you could provide guidance on my questions below:
1. Is it mandatory to have your spouse name endorsed on the passport to apply as a couple for express entry. We have official marriage certificate. - Spouse Name is required on the passport in order to obtain Indian PCC. I also had to renew my passport with Spouse name addition.
2. As part of spouse endorsement, our embassy would issue a new passport (with new number). Can we update this information at any stage of the application (pre or post ITA)? - Yes. You can make changes but only make sure that you mention these changes in your Letter of Explanation .
3. Is there any official link on cic website or any other official cic statement regarding the above? I was not able to source any information on the cic website clearly. - This info is given at the time of passport request for PR visa and COPR.

Thanks in advance,
Mehul

Benzene

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017

@Marty_,
Hi Marty,
I was asked by CIC to renew my passport (because my old one was valid for 3 months). Does it mean my application was approved and I should get PPR email soon?;)
Thanks

Benzene

Star Member
Oct 2, 2017
@Marty_,
Hi Marty,
I was asked by CIC to renew my passport (because my old one was valid for 3 months). Does it mean my application was approved and I should get PPR email soon?;)
Thanks
I submitted a copy of my new passport at Oct 2, but no update after that! Any body can help?

Last edited:

CanChecks

Jun 23, 2018
Marty, thanks for the answers.

Hey Mehul

Could you please let us know if the person in question did get to add spouse name and whether there were any issues at the time of getting ITA. More interested to know if getting a new passport after ITA is a problem. Thanks.

Best
CanChecks

zames001

May 31, 2018
did you get a confirmation? I have been waiting since August and no reply so far :( I submitted everything :(
Dear AC87, I’m in a similar situation. How long did it for you to get the ppr after you submitted new passport?