+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport re-issue (NOT renewal), will i have to reapply for study permit ?

Qxx1

Oct 29, 2015
hello

I am from India and have received admission and CAQ for my masters program (Jan 2016) in Montreal and will be applying for study permit very soon.

My passport will expire on April 2018 so if i get a new passport then will i have to re-apply for study permit ?

My course starts on 6 Jan 2016 and it is a Masters course (2 years) although the admission letter also says that it can complete till fall 2017, but taking 2 years complete, it finishes on Jan 2018.

My passport completes 10 years on April 2018 and it cannot be renewed, new passport will be issued and my passport number will change so if i get my new passport during this time can/do i reapply for my study permit ?
And can i do this while I am in Montreal or do I need to come back to India ?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
My passport will expire on April 2018 so if i get a new passport then will i have to re-apply for study permit ?
Most likely u will get visa and study permit till the expiry of ur passport so u will have to renew ur passport then renew study permit. In case u get visa for more then ur passport expiry (very rarely this will happen)since ur from india u will get ur old passport back so u can use the Visa on the old passport till it runs out. They wont transfer visa from old to new passport so u will have to carry both passports with u.

My passport completes 10 years on April 2018 and it cannot be renewed, new passport will be issued and my passport number will change so if i get my new passport during this time can/do i reapply for my study permit ?
And can i do this while I am in Montreal or do I need to come back to India ?
u can apply for new passport from canada as well as study permit renewal from canada

Qxx1

Oct 29, 2015
ok thanks....
but i read that they will give new passport since its a re-issue n not renewal, so im not sure if i will get old one back..
and my CAQ has validity of 28 more days than m passport lets see about the visa.

and can i do it by staying there or i need to come to india for this?

Navdeep Singh Ghotra

Star Member
Oct 6, 2015
I re Issued my passport last month. U can get a Re-Issued Passport(with expiry extended to next 10 years from date of Reissue).

When u will go for reIssue, Passport office will stamp "cancelled" on your Old passport and return it to you, though will not be of any use anymore.

ReIssued Passport will have a field for "Old Passport number" on last page of new Re Issued passport, hence any approvals taken on last passport as a supporting document(in case of CAQ) will stand valid.

For more info how to reIssue, please check the below link-->
"Validity expired within 3 years/ Due to expire."
Source : http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/faqServicesAvailable

Qxx1

Oct 29, 2015
thank you for all the information (y) n thanks for providing the link...
one thing it didnt say, if i can get it done while im in montreal ?