+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Re Issue Mandatory or not for SOWP??

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
Hi,

I am from India. I am getting my marriage registered on July 21st 2015. I do not intend to change my name after marriage. I got my upfront medical exam done recently on 4th July where my passport copy was used.

Lately, a new question has come forth.
Do I have to get my passport re issued with my spouse name on it even if I intend to keep my old name as it is??
If so, the re issuance would change the passport number so how will it comply with the upfront medical report??

I was hoping to use my old passport without any re issuance and provide the marriage registration certificate in my application as proof enough for marriage. I need guidance in this matter. Please help.

Regards.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Swati,

You may retain your maiden name. It's not compulsory to change your name to your married name. Hence, a passport re-issue is not required

Cheers :)

Inthemidst

Nov 6, 2013
App. Filed.......
Dec 12 2015
Doc's Request.
Jan 4th
AOR Received.
Dec 12th
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
waiting
No u dont need to make any changes in your name for SOWP, however for future its would be good if you and ur spouse update ur passport with ur spouse name in there . Thats we did . When we decided to apply for canadian visa .. 1st thing was apply for new passport with spouse name updated and i kept my maiden name in my passport as it would avoid lots of confusion in future coz all me certificates and docs has maiden name :D

All the best

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
My upfront medical is complete with the passport I already have. If I re issue for my passport to get my spouse name added the govt passport office would issue me a new passport with a new passport id unlike the one I have provided as proof in the medical. I wonder if this would create any problem. It seems necessary to get the spouse name added nevertheless to strengthen my case. Advise plz...

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Swati26122011 said:
It seems necessary to get the spouse name added nevertheless to strengthen my case. Advise plz...
This is not true.... nowadays, even in India, many women choose to keep their maiden surnames (or keep both surnames) because they don't want to lose their identity.... or simply because it's convenient.

Merely changing one's surname will not strengthen one's case..... proofs of the relationship are essential

If you prefer to change your surname then your passport will be reissued

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
"Merely changing one's surname will not strengthen one's case..... proofs of the relationship are essential
"

I am not changing my own name. I intend to keep it as it is. I am talking about adding my husbands name in the passport where there is a column to write the spouse's name. I believe that would clearly highlight I am definitely married removing every doubt from the embassy operative's mind since I would change my permanent document.

But this doubts me with the fact that i have done my upfront medical done and now changing the passport would disrupt somehow...

I need to do this coz i got married in a temple nd have only photos of the marriage registration and engagement, so no proof of photographs of marriage exactly, although i have honeymoon pics and more.
Plz advise....

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am not changing my own name. I intend to keep it as it is. I am talking about adding my husbands name in the passport where there is a column to write the spouse's name. I believe that would clearly highlight I am definitely married removing every doubt from the embassy operative's mind since I would change my permanent document.
Sure.... you can add your husband's name (as spouse) to your passport details.

Passport re-issue will take time.... so do keep this time frame in mind.

For this passport re-issue, you can submit the relevant documents.... or if you do not have a Marriage Certificate then I think you must get an affidavit sworn before a First Class Judicial Magistrate (and submit this to the passport office). Do consult a lawyer on how to go about this.

While the affidavit may work (in the absence of a marriage certificate) to get the passport re-issued with your husband's name.... CIC would expect to see your Marriage Certificate along with other proofs to confirm it is a genuine marriage/relationship

Cheers :)

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
But this doubts me with the fact that i have done my upfront medical done and now changing the passport would disrupt my application somehow as the id on the passport during the time of medical would not be same as the id of the re issued passport...

Plz help...

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
yes i have the marriage certificate but not the pics of the marriage ceremony as it happened in a temple where cameras were not allowed...

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Swati26122011 said:
yes i have the marriage certificate but not the pics of the marriage ceremony as it happened in a temple where cameras were not allowed...
Dont bother abt getting a new passport. marriage certificate will do.
if there are no photos of wedding, you can use some photos of reception. That too, if they ask for photos.

Settle down and get your passports updated later when you have more important things sorted.

Also, you made a right decision by opting to continue with same name.
Changing surname only makes life complicated.

Swati26122011

Sep 13, 2012
I understand that marriage certificate will do. Yet I want to be totally sure and therefore not wish to take any chances. I intend to add the spouse name to the passport for more assurance.

My only question is what will happen to the upfront medical which I have had with the current passport as identity proof?

To inquire further, i guess my scenario is same as of that person who might have lost his passport after upfront medical. Since the medical is valid for 12 months straight, what would happen when one would apply for visa with a new passport and old UMI??

Plz help...

ps: Thanks i wanna keep my name as it helps keep all the paper work easy in my country.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Swati26122011 said:
I understand that marriage certificate will do. Yet I want to be totally sure and therefore not wish to take any chances. I intend to add the spouse name to the passport for more assurance.

My only question is what will happen to the upfront medical which I have had with the current passport as identity proof?

To inquire further, i guess my scenario is same as of that person who might have lost his passport after upfront medical. Since the medical is valid for 12 months straight, what would happen when one would apply for visa with a new passport and old UMI??

Plz help...

ps: Thanks i wanna keep my name as it helps keep all the paper work easy in my country.
If it helps, I would like to tell that I and my girl frnd got married while our PR application was in progress. We continued with same old passports and had no problems whatsoever.