+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Question

AnnaCan

Aug 16, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm writing this post both to share some lessons in sending passport and to get some answers regarding my puzzles.

I was very fortunate to receive a PPR on September 19. The email asked me to mail my passport to Ottawa and include a return envelope (see exact instructions below):

"If your documents are being returned to a Canadian mailing address, please submit a Pre-paid Xpresspost envelope from Canada Post or a pre-paid return envelope from any other courier service."

"If you have a mailing address in Canada, please submit by mail in a single package all required documents {including Passport(s) OR photocopy(ies) of passport(s)}, to the following address:"

So, very naively, on the next day that I received the PPR, I sent my passport using regular mail, and asked the staff at Canada Post to give me a pre-paid envelope for returning passport from Ottawa. I explicitly chose regular mail because I thought that was the instruction in the email, and I did not want to deviate from those instructions at this final stage of application.

However, later on, I realized that I should actually use Xpresspost to send my passport as well - that will shorten the delivery from 4 business days to 2 business day. More surprisingly, yesterday when I received a shipping notification regarding an item from Ottawa, the tracking number was different from the envelope that I sent, and the service is expedited parcels (4 business day for national delivery), rather than Xpresspost (2 business day for national delivery).

My suggestion: When sending the passport, get two large Xpresspost pre-paid envelopes. Someone on this forum said, just fold the return envelope and put it inside the outbound envelope.

My questions:
1) Did Ottawa CPC change the shipping method because the original envelope is too small, or the pre-paid postage for the small envelope (max weight = 500g) is not enough?
2) Does anybody have any experience with expedited parcels? Any possibility that the delivery time is shorter than 4 business days?

Another question, does anybody want to do a flagpole at Emerson, Manitoba next week?

Last edited:

AnnaCan

Aug 16, 2019
An update: It passport actually took much longer to process. The parcel that arrived earlier was a Lancome cosmetics bag - Usually this type of products ship from Ontario or BC, but Lancome may have their warehouse in Ottawa.

After a few weeks' wait, I finally saw my application status changed to "approved." So, 1) My regular-mailed passport did arrive in Ottawa CPC. 2) Probably due to the fact that I used a regular mail to mail in, probably due to the Thanksgiving holiday, or probably due to some random reasons, the processing time of the passport is longer than 3 weeks. 3) I still do not know which envelop will they use to mail back. The tracker has not been activated.

Amar55

Jun 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
Doc's Request.
22-09-2017
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
IELTS Request
12-05-2017
File Transfer...
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
22-09-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2018
What are the updates on ur passport ? Did u receive it back ? How long it took to reach back to you ?