+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport question: Mother's maiden name

mandeepsandhu

Aug 22, 2012
good day everyone,

I have a questikn regarding one of the columns in Passport application. What should I write in Mother's maiden name at time of her birth. My mom's birth certificate has no last name mentioned until she got married. Can I write her family name? Please advice!

Thank you
Have a great day!
M

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
mandeepsandhu said:
good day everyone,

I have a questikn regarding one of the columns in Passport application. What should I write in Mother's maiden name at time of her birth. My mom's birth certificate has no last name mentioned until she got married. Can I write her family name? Please advice!

Thank you
Have a great day!
M
Talk to passport canada and explain the situation.
I applied for my son's passport and at my time of birth i didn't have a last name so i spoke to passport canada and wrote an explanation letter with the application.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mandeepsandhu said:
I have a question regarding one of the columns in Passport application. What should I write in Mother's maiden name at time of her birth. My mom's birth certificate has no last name mentioned until she got married. Can I write her family name?
thecoolguysam's suggestion is good. If she had no last name until she got married, explain so in a cover letter.

But I'm curious what you mean when you say "her family name"? Was this a family name that she (and her immediate family) had growing up? Or that only certain members of her family had? If either of those is the case, you should use this name.
Or, are you referring to the last name she got when she married?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
eileenf said:
thecoolguysam's suggestion is good. If she had no last name until she got married, explain so in a cover letter.

But I'm curious what you mean when you say "her family name"? Was this a family name that she (and her immediate family) had growing up? Or that only certain members of her family had? If either of those is the case, you should use this name.
Or, are you referring to the last name she got when she married?
family name is last name. In India people usually have given names only and it is not compulsory to have a last name (surname).

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
family name is last name. In India people usually have given names only and it is not compulsory to have a last name (surname).
Yes. So mandeepsandhu is referring to the mother's married name when s/he says...
mandeepsandhu said:
Can I write her family name?
In which case it's probably best to keep the space blank and explain why in a cover letter as thecoolguysam suggested above.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
eileenf said:
Yes. So mandeepsandhu is referring to the mother's married name when s/he says...

He is asking what to write in mother's maiden name at birth. As she does not have a maiden name, he might have to write a letter explaining the situation because her mom's birth certificate has no last name.
I think he has to explain bit more because he is asking to write her family name which she never had.

mandeepsandhu

Aug 22, 2012
mandeepsandhu said:
good day everyone,

Thank you
Have a great day!
M
Thank you all for your replies. I called passport office today and they said to write down mother's family surname name before marriage and it doesnt matter if it is not written on her birth certificate.

M

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mandeepsandhu said:
Thank you all for your replies. I called passport office today and they said to write down mother's family surname name before marriage and it doesnt matter if it is not written on her birth certificate.
Ok, yes. This is the issue that I was trying to clarify with my previous questions.

The important thing is not whether the maiden name is recorded on the birth certificate. The important question is whether it exists at all. If it does, you should use it.

CIC, and some other governmental agencies as well, use this information to distinguish you from someone else who might have the same name.

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

My mother doesn't have a Family name. But she has two names in her given name. What should I do?

E.g., Her name is

Family Name:
Given Name: AAA BBB

Shall I write AAA BBB as her Family name?

Thank you

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hello,

My mother doesn't have a Family name. But she has two names in her given name. What should I do?

E.g., Her name is

Family Name:

Shall I write AAA BBB as her Family name?

Thank you
If you are planning on sponsoring your mom in future so that she can visit you here in Canada then go with BBB for your Canadian PP application and then you can update her Passport with correct Family and Given Name later.

Reactions: visa_4all

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are planning on sponsoring your mom in future so that she can visit you here in Canada then go with BBB for your Canadian PP application and then you can update her Passport with correct Family and Given Name later.
Does it not make any problem.
As for my citizenship /PR app. I wrote my mother's name as

Family name: AAA BBB
Given name:

Although my mother's name is

Family Name:

Thanks

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Does it not make any problem.
As for my citizenship /PR app. I wrote my mother's name as