Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Dec 2011
Med's Done....
Dec 2011
Passport Req..
Dec 2011
HI guys

My PR Card has expired in May 2010 & I did not sent for renewal as I am waiting for my citizenship test (my file was transferred to the Mississauga CIC office on May 19, 2010) but this morning I was checking my old documents & guess what, my passport has expired too in the first week of July 2010.

I am not planning to go outside Canada.

Is it gonna be a problem? Do I have to renew my passport & PR card.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
If you are not planning on leaving Canada anytime soon you should not have anything to worry. The only time when you are required to present your PR card to an immigration official is when you are entering Canada. Immigration does not exactly have their officers patrolling the streets to catch you.

If your country allows renewals by mail or online renewals, perhaps you should renew your passport. Having a valid passport is very handy, especially in case of emergencies. If you plan on retaining dual citizenship, definitely renew your passport.

I am not sure how long your citizenship test and actual citizenship itself would take to process though, but it might be up to a year or even two, so I hope you are prepared to stay in Canada for that long a period.

aadi

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Dec 2011
Med's Done....
Dec 2011
Passport Req..
Dec 2011
thanks mediajunkie, you have answer all my concerns.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually you can check whether your home country have consulates/embassies in Canada, so that you may go there to have your passports renewed.

aadi

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Dec 2011
Med's Done....
Dec 2011
Passport Req..
Dec 2011
hey guys, I am screwed big time as I was talking to Indian consulate & they advised that u have to have a valid PR card to get ur passport renewed. Its gonna take 195 days to get PR card & then 28 days to get passport so easily 7-8 months.

I have every other card Driver license, health, SIN, mortgage certificate, I really want to get my passport renew.

Any advise.

thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are not planning to travel, then it should not matter if you wait 7-8 months. If you do need to travel, it is possible to get the new PR card faster. You would have to ask them to expedite based on that you need the PR card to get passport renewed and you will be travelling on date X and need it before that date. Usually, it is also possible to get passports renewed faster if you need to.

shinken_

Feb 16, 2010
hi Leon, won't it be a problem if you need to prove your pr status for whatever reason (not just entering canada)? since the pr card is the official proof of status.

Leon said:
If you are not planning to travel, then it should not matter if you wait 7-8 months. If you do need to travel, it is possible to get the new PR card faster. You would have to ask them to expedite based on that you need the PR card to get passport renewed and you will be travelling on date X and need it before that date. Usually, it is also possible to get passports renewed faster if you need to.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shinken_ said:
hi Leon, won't it be a problem if you need to prove your pr status for whatever reason (not just entering canada)? since the pr card is the official proof of status.
I have never had to show my PR card to prove my status. If anybody asks, you show your landing documents to prove your status and tell them that you have sent your expired PR card in with your renewal application.

timster

Oct 1, 2010
Application for citizineship, Questions with regards to work history

I am not sure what to file on the application under work history. My partner and I have been filing joint tax return but I haven't worked on the books. I am not sure what to do in this case, and what to file under work history.
please help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you haven't been working, you write that you haven't been working. Simple.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aadi said:
hey guys, I am screwed big time as I was talking to Indian consulate & they advised that u have to have a valid PR card to get ur passport renewed. Its gonna take 195 days to get PR card & then 28 days to get passport so easily 7-8 months.

I have every other card Driver license, health, SIN, mortgage certificate, I really want to get my passport renew.

Any advise.

thanks in advance.
You need Canadian PR to get your Indian passport renewed?? Is that typical?? I think that is absurd.

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
Alabaman said:
You need Canadian PR to get your Indian passport renewed?? Is that typical?? I think that is absurd.
Actually it is quite typical.
I renewed my country of origin's passport from their embassy in Canada. They required proof of valid status in Canada, eg study permit, work permit or PR card.
Also, since my country of origin does not allow dual citizenship, and will not issue a new passport if I have Canadian citizenship, a PR card will prove that I have not obtained Canadian citizenship.

Just sharing my experience.

HAZAR

Nov 10, 2010
The question in other way
Do you need a valid passport when you attend the citizenship test?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HAZAR said:
The question in other way
Do you need a valid passport when you attend the citizenship test?
I don't think so. When I took it, there was a line of people showing their documents before the test to prove who they are. There were some people who showed up and just said they had lost their landing papers, lost the passport, whatever. They were all allowed to take the test but given options on what they would need to do later. For the landing papers, you can order them. I am sure they'd want to see some kind of ID but I don't think it needs to be your passport.